News Release Article from
Archived - Publication of Packaging and Transport of Nuclear Substances Regulations, 2015
June 30, 2015 – Ottawa, ON – Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) has published the Packaging and Transport of Nuclear Substances Regulations, 2015 in the Canada Gazette, Part II, and they are now in force.
The regulations clarify existing requirements and align with revised international regulations to ensure continued safe and efficient transport of nuclear substances. They repeal and replace the previous Packaging and Transport of Nuclear Substances Regulations.
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment; to implement Canada’s international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- Canada’s Packaging and Transport of Nuclear Substances Regulations (PTNSR) are based on the Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material (IAEA Regulations) established by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- The IAEA Regulations, which are followed by all IAEA member states, assure consistent and safe practices internationally.
- With the input of IAEA Member States, including Canada, the IAEA Regulations are periodically reviewed, and new editions are published.
- More than a million packages containing radioactive material are transported safely in Canada each year. CNSC and Transport Canada are jointly responsible for ensuring the safe transport of nuclear substances.
- Transport Canada’s Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations deal with the transport of all classes of dangerous goods, while the CNSC’s PTNSRprimarily address health, safety and security of the public, and protection of the environment related to the special characteristics of radioactive material.
Links to related announcements or other helpful information:
- Packaging and Transport of Nuclear Substances
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- Regulatory Framework Overview
Media and Community Relations
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Transport Law Economics and Industry
- Date modified: