News Release Article from
Archived - Government of Canada Strengthens Opportunities for Commercialization of Micro- and Nano-Coated Products at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
May 29, 2015 – Edmonton, Alberta – Western Economic Diversification Canada
Corresponding Document : Photo Gallery
Today, the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced $1.5 million in funding to support the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) in establishing a centre that will allow small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to test, develop, and commercialize micro- and nano-coated products.
Federal funding will enable NAIT to purchase specialized coating handling and blasting equipment, a spray booth, cutting machines, compressors, and to upgrade the facility’s ventilation system and power supply.
The facility, which is also receiving support from MesoCoat Technology Canada, will operate within the existing Nanotechnology Centre for Applied Research, Industry Training and Services (nanoCARTS), and is expected to benefit a wide range of sectors including oil and gas, surface technology and engineering.
- Since 2006, the federal government has invested more than $13 billion in new funding in all facets of the innovation ecosystem including advanced research, research infrastructure, talent development, and business innovation.
- NAIT’s nanoCARTS provides industry with prototyping, product enhancement, testing and characterization services related to nano and micro technology. The new facility will help to expand nanoCARTS’ range of services available to SMEs.
- NAIT has the expertise in rapid prototyping, materials testing, manufacturing, training and mechanical design to help companies develop and commercialize new products.
“Our Government understands that technology advancements help increase Western Canada’s competitive advantage. By investing in the establishment of this new micro- and nano-coated product development centre, we are demonstrating our commitment to supporting jobs and economic growth.”
- The Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification
“Applied research is essential in NAIT’s role as a leading polytechnic. This investment strengthens our ability to work with industry to solve their real-world problems. This ultimately helps them to be competitive and innovative. I would like to thank the Government of Canada for its investment.”
- Dr. Glenn Feltham, President and CEO, NAIT
“We are grateful to the Government of Canada for their financial and strategic support, which has been instrumental in establishing this centre at NAIT. The applied research we are carrying out has the potential to extend the lifespan of piping used in oil production and save billions of dollars in downtime and replacement costs. Wear-resistant clad pipes being developed at this centre are expected to make oil production safer, more efficient and more affordable.”
- Stephen Goss, CEO, MesoCoat Technology Canada
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Harper Government Strengthens Opportunities for Commercialization and Innovation at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
Office of the Minister
Western Economic Diversification
Media Relations Specialist, Department of Marketing and Communications
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
Vice-President, Corporate Development and Strategy
WD Toll-Free Number: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-877-303-3388
Website: WD is online at www.wd-deo.gc.ca.
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Michelle Rempel Western Economic Diversification Canada Science and Technology Education and Training Economics and Industry
- Date modified: