News Release Article from
Archived - Harper Government Supports Canadian Organic Sector
Member of Parliament for Oak Ridges-Markham, Paul Calandra on behalf of Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz, announced today an investment of $785,660 to the Canada Organic Trade Association (COTA) to help promote the Canadian organic sector and increase the visibility of the Canadian organic brand in international markets.
This investment will enable COTA to attend international conferences and trade shows and lead outgoing missions to raise awareness of Canadian organic products in key markets in Europe, United States, Asia and Latin America.
- Canada now ranks as the 5th largest organic market worldwide and is home to over 4500 organic farms, and more than 1,000 organic processors and handlers.
- Canada’s organic exports have been valued at over $458 million, with most going to the U.S. and the European Union.
- Canada has signed organic equivalency agreements with the U.S., EU, and Japan.
- Since 2006, the federal government has invested over $20 million in research and innovation, market development and business risk management to support an adaptable, competitive and stable organic agriculture and agri-food sector.
- This investment is being made through Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s AgriMarketing Program, which is a five-year, up to $341 million initiative under the Growing Forward 2 policy framework.
"Canada’s organic sector is thriving, and as it continues to grow and diversify it is also becoming a core part of our country’s economy. Our government is proud to be able to support this sector in its efforts to increase its competitiveness and sustainability by creating economic opportunities and market growth in domestic and international markets."– Member of Parliament for Oak Ridges-Markham Paul Calandra
"This significant investment in Canada’s organic sector will allow our farmers and businesses to be more strategic and more impactful in how they go to market, both here at home and abroad."– Executive Director, Canada Organic Trade Association, Matthew Holmes
- Growing Forward 2 (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- AgriMarketing Program (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- Canada Trade Organic Association
Office of the Honourable Gerry Ritz
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @AAFC_Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Agriculture
- Date modified: