News Release Article from
Archived - CNSC publishes REGDOC-2.3.3, Periodic Safety Reviews
Following a period of public consultation from August 6, 2014 to October 6, 2014, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) has published regulatory document REGDOC-2.3.3, Periodic Safety Reviews.
Periodic Safety Reviews sets out the CNSC’s requirements and guidance with regard to the conduct of a periodic safety review (PSR) of a nuclear power plant. A PSR is a comprehensive evaluation of the design, condition, and operation of a nuclear power plant. It is an effective way to obtain an overall view of plant safety and the quality of the safety documentation, and to determine reasonable and practical improvements to ensure continued safe operation until the next PSR, or where appropriate, until the end of commercial operation.
REGDOC-2.3.3 supersedes RD-360, Life Extension of Nuclear Power Plants, (2008).
To view this document, visit:
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment and to implement Canada’s international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and disseminates objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- All nuclear power plants in Canada use the CANDU design – a safe, reliable, reactor technology.
- To comply with the CNSC’s regulatory requirements and their own internal governance, nuclear power plant licensees conduct regular reviews of their performance to ensure safety is maintained.
- A periodic safety review is an effective way to obtain an overall view of actual plant safety and to determine reasonable and practical modifications to ensure continued safe operation.
- CNSC’s consultation Web page
- Class I Nuclear Facilities Regulations
- Regulatory framework overview
- Regulatory documents
Media and Community Relations
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Health and Safety Form descriptors
- Date modified: