News Release Article from
Archived - MP Galipeau Announces Funding for l'Assemblée de la francophonie de l'Ontario and La Cité to support Francophone economic development in Southern Ontario
March 20, 2015 – Ottawa, Ontario – Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Orléans Royal Galipeau, on behalf of FedDev Ontario Minister of State Gary Goodyear, today announced up to $1,924,844 that will benefit Francophone and bilingual organizations across southern Ontario.
FedDev Ontario is providing up to $999,840 to l'Assemblée de la francophonie de l'Ontario (AFO) to launch an internship program for Francophone youth.
FedDev Ontario is also providing La Cité up to $925,004 to deliver online training modules for businesses and to provide applied research services to businesses and community organizations.
For more information on these projects, please see the backgrounder.
These projects are supported through the Economic Development Initiative, as part of the Roadmap for Canada's Official Languages 2013-2018: Education, Immigration and Communities, the Government of Canada's strategy for official languages.
- Ontario's Francophone population increased almost 50 per cent between 1951 and 2006, and increased an additional 4.5% from 2006 to 2011. Ontario is now home to 611,500 Franco-Ontarians.
- During these projects, l'AFO and La Cité expect to create 36 permanent jobs and 60 temporary full-time jobs.
- Through EDI, from 2009 to 2013, FedDev Ontario has invested $2.6 million in 30 business and community development projects across southern Ontario. This investment has leveraged an estimated $2.5 million in additional support for these projects from partners such as Ontario Trillium Foundation, Canadian Heritage, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, as well as local businesses and not-for-profit organizations.
"The Government of Canada understands that Francophone communities play a crucial role in the economic development of southern Ontario. The funding we are announcing today for l'AFO and La Cité will help Francophone and bilingual organizations across southern Ontario to access youth interns, business management training and applied research services."- Royal Galipeau, Member of Parliament for Ottawa-Orléans
"On behalf of the Assemblée, I would like to thank the Government of Canada for its commitment to the economic development of Ontario's Francophone community. This support will help us offer services tailored to our community in order to adequately foster its economic development and prosperity."- Denis Vaillancourt, President, Assemblée de la francophonie de l'Ontario (AFO)
"The important support of the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario will help us to strengthen the economic base, the sustainability and the competitiveness of the Franco-Ontarian community. This funding will help La Cité to continue assisting Ontario's Francophone entrepreneurs and businesses through new services and training tools in business management and product development."- Lise Bourgeois, President, La Cité
- Backgrounder: Economic Development Initiative Recipients in Ottawa
- Speech: Economic Development Initiative Funding Announcement for AFO and La Cité
- Photo: MP Galipeau Announces Funding for l'Assemblée de la francophonie de l'Ontario and La Cité to support Francophone economic development in Southern Ontario
- Economic Development Initiative
- Roadmap for Canada's Official Languages 2013–2018
- Assemblée de la francophonie de l'Ontario (en français seulement)
- La Cité collégiale (en français seulement)
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Gary Goodyear
Search for related information by keyword
Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario Economics and Industry
- Date modified: