News Release Article from
Archived - Harper Government Boosts Global Competitiveness of Western Canadian Agricultural Sector
March 16, 2015 – Regina, Saskatchewan – Western Economic Diversification Canada
First-time international buyers travelling to Canada’s Farm Progress Show (CFPS) in 2015 and 2016 will be able to access support through the show’s Incoming Buyers Program thanks to a federal investment announced today by Tom Lukiwski, Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Member of Parliament for Regina—Lumsden—Lake Centre, on behalf of the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification.
Harper Government support of $399,750 through the Western Diversification Program (WDP) will pay for half of the travel costs for eligible international buyers, to a maximum of $1,500 per buyer. Funding will also assist CFPS with the installation of an automated software registration program for more convenient online exhibitor registration, as well as the purchase of a multi-transmitter that will let international visitors attend seminars and show tours in the language of their choice.
This is Western Economic Diversification Canada’s third investment in the Incoming Buyers Program at CFPS. The program helps western Canadian agriculture machinery manufacturers create international partnerships and engage in the international agricultural marketplace.
- With more than 900 exhibitors, the CFPS is Canada's largest agricultural technology tradeshow, and attracts about 700 international buyers.
- More than 45,000 people from over 50 countries visit the CFPS each year to see the latest innovations in agriculture technology and equipment.
- The 2013 show resulted in about $37 million in new export sales for western Canadian suppliers.
“Our Government recognizes that by improving access to global markets we are helping Canadian companies realize greater success. Today’s investment in support of Canada’s Farm Progress Show will help to create jobs and economic growth by expanding Western Canada’s export opportunities to new markets.”
- Tom Lukiwski, Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons, and Member of Parliament for Regina—Lumsden—Lake Centre
“We want to thank the Federal Government for their ongoing support of Canada’s largest trade show. Canada’s Farm Progress Show is committed to the growth of international trade for its exhibitor customers.”
- Mark Allan, President and CEO, The Regina Exhibition Association Limited (Evraz Place)
- Governments of Canada and Saskatchewan Invest in Export Development Program
- Governments of Canada and Saskatchewan Invest in Export Development Program for International Buyers
- Canada’s Farm Progress Show
Western Economic Diversification Canada
Director, Corporate Governance and Corporate Office
The Regina Exhibition Association Limited (Evraz Place)
WD Toll-Free Number: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-877-303-3388
Website: WD is online at www.wd-deo.gc.ca.
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
Search for related information by keyword
Western Economic Diversification Canada Science and Technology Economics and Industry Agriculture
- Date modified: