News Release Article from
Archived - Engineering Services Contract Awarded for the New Bridge for the St. Lawrence
Arup will assist Infrastructure Canada during the design, construction and operational phases of the project
February 23, 2015 – Montreal, Quebec – Infrastructure Canada
Following an open, transparent, competitive and fair procurement process, Arup has been awarded a contract to provide engineering consulting services to the project authority or the new bridge for the St. Lawrence corridor project.
Arup will provide expert technical advice to Infrastructure Canada and will ensure that the Government of Canada's requirements for this project are met. In addition, the consulting engineering firm will participate in project monitoring activities and verify the compliance, quality and integrity of the work performed by the independent engineer.
The selection of engineering experts shows that the Government of Canada is committed to building durable, high-quality infrastructure that meets rigorous technical standards and supports the needs of users.
The contract will cover a period of approximately seven years, with three one-year option periods, for a total value of $20.4 million (taxes included). A fairness monitor external to the government has been selected to provide an impartial opinion on the fairness of this procurement process.
- The New Bridge for the St. Lawrence Corridor will be built as part of a public-private partnership, in order to provide Canadians with best value for money and to ensure that the project is delivered on time and on budget.
- The Government of Canada is committed to having the new bridge for the St. Lawrence in service by 2018, and to having the remainder of the corridor, including the reconstruction of Highway 15 and the new Île-des-Soeurs bridge, completed by 2020.
- The new bridge for the St. Lawrence corridor project will create tens of thousands of jobs and will contribute to the economic prosperity of Montreal and of Canada as a whole.
"The selection of engineering experts to support our team demonstrates our commitment to delivering a safe, reliable, long-lasting bridge, constructed in a timely, cost-effective and environmentally responsible manner."
"The new bridge for the St. Lawrence corridor project is progressing well and is on target to meet all planned deadlines. Construction is scheduled to begin in the summer of 2015."
- The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec
- Consult the procurement notice on www.buyandsell.gc.ca.
- Find out about the procurement process under way to select a private partner for the project.
- To find out more on the new bridge for the St. Lawrence corridor project.
Office of the Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs and
Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Follow us on Twitter
Search for related information by keyword
Infrastructure Canada Transport Economic Action Plan
- Date modified: