News Release Article from
Archived - Fire protection upgrades at Point Lepreau completed
December 17, 2014 – Ottawa, ON
Today, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) announced that New Brunswick Power (NB Power) completed all required fire protection upgrades to the Point Lepreau Generating Station.
In renewing the NB Power licence in February 2012, the Commission had established a regulatory hold point to ensure the company would reach overall compliance with CSA N293-07 Fire protection for CANDU nuclear power plants before the end of 2014. Upgrades made to the facility include, among other things, the addition of two onsite fire trucks and improvements to fire detection and suppression systems.
“CNSC staff carried out compliance and verification activities and has now confirmed that NB Power has successfully completed the required improvements to its fire protection program." said Ramzi Jammal, CNSC Executive Vice-President and Chief Regulatory Operations Officer.
A copy of the official CNSC decision is available upon request at email@example.com
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment; to implement Canada's international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
NB Power new fire truck
- The CNSC has inspectors stationed at each of Canada’s operating nuclear power plants.
- In 2013, NB Power received satisfactory ratings in all safety and control areas of the CNSC annual report card, except in the area of conventional health and safety for which it received fully satisfactory.
- CNSC Information on the Point Lepreau Generating Station
- Fire Protection Upgrades at Lepreau (March 2014)
- CSA N293-07 Fire protection for CANDU nuclear power plants
- Nuclear Power Industry Safety Performance Reports
Media and Community Relations
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Economics and Industry
- Date modified: