News Release Article from
Archived - Parliamentary Secretary to Minister of Health and Chief Public Health Officer of Canada address Canadian Immunization Conference
December 2, 2014 - Ottawa - Public Health Agency of Canada
Today, the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Health, Eve Adams and Dr. Gregory Taylor, the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, addressed the 11th Canadian Immunization Conference (CIC2014) to highlight the Government of Canada’s commitment to immunization as a vital public health measure. CIC2014 runs from December 2nd to 4th in Ottawa, Ontario.
Speaking to more than 800 delegates, the Parliamentary Secretary and the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada thanked them for their expertise and dedication that contributes to making immunization a public health success story. They also updated the conference on the progress of the Ebola vaccine and congratulated the National Advisory Committee on Immunization on its 50th anniversary.
The Parliamentary Secretary also highlighted funding of $6.625 million over three years for the Canadian Immunization Research Network (CIRN), the Halifax-based network leading the Canadian Phase I clinical trial for Canada’s Ebola vaccine. CIRN is a collaboration between the Agency and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) to establish a new research network to study immunization in a number of key areas including those with potential to support government efforts to manage a public health emergency or outbreak.
The CIC2014 is led by the Canadian Public Health Association with support from the Government of Canada and participation of Immunize Canada, the Canadian Association for Immunization Research and Evaluation, and the Canadian Paediatric Society.
- The only national immunization event of its kind in Canada, CIC2014 offers a unique forum for immunization experts and stakeholders to share research, knowledge and best practices, demonstrate their commitment to immunization as a critical public health measure and contribute to the success of immunization programs and practices in Canada.
- Immunization is one of the most cost-effective public health interventions and the safest and most effective means to prevent and control vaccine preventable illness.
- One of the most important things you can do as a parent is to make sure your child is immunized against serious vaccine-preventable diseases. Routine vaccines have saved the lives of more infants and children than any other medical intervention in the past 50 years.
- Canada has a rigorous system in place to ensure vaccines are safe and effective in preventing the disease they target. Once a vaccine is in use, health authorities continue to monitor its safety.
“On behalf of the Government of Canada, I thank the many people whose expertise and dedication contribute to making immunization a public health success story. Globally, vaccinations are one of the most important tools in preventing the spread of disease. In some cases - in certain parts of the world - entire diseases have been eradicated thanks to vaccines. The Canadian Immunization Conference is a flagship event that fosters innovative approaches to this complex and important issue. I encourage all participants to take advantage of the educational and networking opportunities that this conference has to offer.”
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Health
"Vaccines remain one of the safest, most cost-effective public health interventions available to the world. By sustaining immunization efforts and sharing research and knowledge, this conference moves the immunization yardstick one step further, helping to ensure healthy Canadians in a healthier world.”
Dr. Gregory Taylor
Chief Public Health Officer of Canada
“The Canadian Public Health Association is proud to be hosting the 2014 Canadian Immunization Conference. With the re-emergence of some infectious diseases and the threat of new ones, the Canadian Immunization Conference is an ideal meeting spot for anyone interested in immunization to come together and share cutting edge ideas.”
Executive Director, Canadian Public Health Association
- Fact Sheet – Canada's experimental vaccine for Ebola
- Canada's Ebola Vaccine - Infographic
- Immunization and Vaccines
Office of the Honourable Rona Ambrose
Federal Minister of Health
Public Health Agency of Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Public Health Agency of Canada Health and Safety
- Date modified: