News Release Article from
Archived - New lane at Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge to improve peak period service
Today, the Harper Government announced a new NEXUS lane at the Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge, a NEXUS only border crossing in Niagara Falls, Ontario. With the addition of this new lane, the bridge is now re-open to NEXUS members.
The existing lane will be open from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm every day and the new lane will be open to Canada-bound traffic from 12:00 pm to 7:00 pm to accommodate peak traffic periods.
This additional lane demonstrates Canada’s ongoing commitment to the NEXUS program. Each enhancement to the program helps bring Canada closer to a vision of border security that eases cross-border travel while improving overall security.
- As pre-approved travellers, members of the NEXUS program can expedite their travel across the Canada-U.S. border at designated land, air and marine locations.
- Since 2011, applications for NEXUS have increased from 2,500 to more than 6,000 per week.
- In 2013, the Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge saw a daily average of more than 1,400 travellers.
- The NEXUS fee is $50 (CAN or USD) and membership is valid for five years.
- Earlier this year, the NEXUS program reached the one millionth member milestone.
“Expanding the NEXUS member-only Whirlpool Bridge border crossing demonstrates our government’s commitment to facilitate expedited legitimate travel and trade with the NEXUS program. As NEXUS grows, our economy will grow with it.”
--The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
“This lane opening improves the already excellent service available to NEXUS members at the Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge. As the NEXUS program grows, increased traffic across the bridge will bring tangible economic benefits to our local economy.”
--The Honourable Rob Nicholson, Member of Parliament, Niagara Falls
Canada Border Services Agency
Search for related information by keyword
Canada Border Services Agency Information and Communications
- Date modified: