News Release Article from
Archived - Harper Government Supports Manufacturing Plant and Creation of 160 Jobs in County of Renfrew
November 3, 2014 – Pembroke, Ontario – Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
The Pembroke MDF industrial plant is officially reopened and ready for business, thanks to an investment of up to $3 million announced today by FedDev Ontario Minister of State Gary Goodyear and Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke MP Cheryl Gallant.
Increasing national and international demand for its range of Medium Density Fiber (MDF) products has led the plant to begin manufacturing again six years after stopping operations. Federal funding for Pembroke MDF Inc. is to support upgrades to the facility, including buying new equipment, as well as repairs and structural improvements. The Pembroke plant is noted for its large customer base in Canada and the United States. Restarting the plant will allow the facility to produce high-quality panels with greater efficiency and at a greater capacity to meet market demands. The project will help Pembroke MDF Inc. diversify its exports while strengthening the forestry sector in Ontario.
The FedDev Ontario repayable contribution is through the Investing in Business Growth and Productivity initiative, which is aimed at helping established businesses to expand their operations, invest in productivity improvements and compete globally.
- Pembroke MDF expects to create up to 110 full-time jobs during the project and 50 jobs from post-project operational work. Additional jobs are also expected in the related forestry, local transportation and logistics supply chain, and electrical and maintenance shops.
- FedDev Ontario's contribution is expected to leverage an additional $17 million for the project from owners' equity and commercial banks.
- Pembroke MDF's project will allow the company to realize environmental benefits with the implementation of more environmentally friendly resins and operational efficiencies that will significantly reduce electricity consumption and associated emissions.
- Investing in Business Growth and Productivity funding is available for eligible small- and medium-sized enterprises and not-for-profit industry associations or regional economic development organizations.
"Our Government's investment in Pembroke MDF highlights our ongoing commitment to creating jobs and prosperity in southern Ontario. By supporting the growth and productivity of local facilities such as this, we continue to build and reinforce Canada's role as a leader in manufacturing in the international market."– The Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
"Today's announcement demonstrates how our Government is supporting manufacturing and job growth in our community. The restart of the Pembroke MDF facility will generate employment for skilled workers, and will strengthen the local forestry and transportation sectors."– Cheryl Gallant, Member of Parliament for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke
"We are very thankful for the support received from the Government of Canada, as well as the Government of Ontario, which has enabled us to restart the Pembroke plant and bring back jobs that are important to this community. We are grateful to the Canadian pro-business environment and the qualified and capable Canadian employees who made this project a reality."– Juan Obach, Chairman of the Board
- Speech: Investing in Business Growth and Productivity Funding announcement for Pembroke MDF Inc.
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Gary Goodyear
Search for related information by keyword
Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario Economics and Industry
- Date modified: