News Release Article from
Archived - Harper Government Supports Canadian Hemp Industry
September 26, 2014 – Ste. Agathe, Manitoba – Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
On behalf of Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz, Member of Parliament for Provencher Ted Falk announced today a repayable contribution of up to $4.6 million to Hemp Oil Canada to help build a brand new world-class hemp processing facility with the latest in conveyance, processing and quality assurance equipment.
This new facility will implement the latest processing technology to further enhance food safety and quality standards and significantly increase the company’s capacity for delivering high quality hemp products to buyers around the world. This strategic investment will boost the competitiveness of the hemp sector and create opportunities for Canadian producers for years to come.
- Founded in 1998, Hemp Oil Canada was one of the first Canadian companies involved in processing hemp following 60 years of prohibition.
- In 2012, Canada exported over $21 million worth of hemp products to international markets.
- In the last three years, the cultivation of hemp has been on the rise. In 2012, the total retail value of hemp products in North America alone exceeded $500 million. This includes food and body products, clothing, auto parts, building materials and other products.
- This investment is made through the Enabling Commercialization and Adoption stream of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s AgriInnovation Program, a five-year, up to $698 million initiative under Growing Forward 2.
"Our Government’s number one priority continues to be creating jobs and economic growth for Canadians. The expanding hemp industry represents a great opportunity for Canadian farmers. Our Government is proud to support this growing industry so that farmers can continue to expand their markets and develop more products."- Member of Parliament for Provencher Ted Falk
"As a pioneer of the Canadian hemp food industry, we are thrilled to have gained the approval of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada for this important expansion of our processing unit to service worldwide market demand for our 100% Canadian made, food safe products that will be produced in a state of the art facility here in rural Manitoba"- Shaun Crew, President and CEO, Hemp Oil Canada Inc.
- Growing Forward 2 (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- AgriInnovation Program (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada)
- Hemp Oil Canada
Office of the Honourable Gerry Ritz
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @AAFC_Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Agriculture
- Date modified: