News Release Article from
Archived - Canada announces airlift support for military supplies to Iraq from Czech Republic
September 15, 2014 - Ottawa, National Defence
Today, the Government of Canada announced that it will provide strategic airlift support for military supplies to Iraq from the Czech Republic. Under Operation IMPACT, the Canadian Air Task Force Iraq will begin operating from the Czech Republic, delivering Eastern European small-arms ammunition to Iraq to assist the Iraqi security forces protect civilians from the terrorist threat presented by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
- The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF), will commence airlift operations from the Czech Republic on September 18, supplying Iraqi security forces with small-arms ammunition donated by the government of the Czech Republic to aid in their efforts protecting civilians from hostile acts by ISIL.
- The CAF continues to stage airlift operations from Albania as part of a multinational effort including the United States and the United Kingdom to provide effective protection to Iraqis facing ISIL aggression.
- As of September 12, 13 flights have been successfully completed, delivering a total of approximately 503,000 pounds (228,000 kilograms) of military supplies to Iraq.
- The Canadian Air Task Force Iraq (CATFI) includes:
- One CC-130J Hercules cargo aircraft;
- One CC-177 Globemaster III transport aircraft; and
- Approximately 100 CAF aircrew, technicians and logistics specialists.
- CJOC is the CAF’s operational arm and is responsible for preparing and conducting military operations anywhere in the world as directed by the Government of Canada
- Operation IMPACT is in addition to the humanitarian assistance Canada is already providing to Iraq.
“Working with our allies, Canada is promoting security and stability in Iraq in the face of the ISIL terrorist threat and is helping to lead the world’s humanitarian response. I am proud of our men and women in uniform proving much-needed support to Iraqi security forces and protecting the lives of many innocent citizens threatened by ISIL’s cowardly and unacceptable acts of terrorism.”The Honourable Rob Nicholson, PC, QC, MP for Niagara Falls and Minister of National Defence
"Canada's facilitation of crucial airlifts is another demonstration of our support for Iraq at this critical time. The threat posed by ISIL requires a firm response from the international community and Canada is committed to playing its part."The Honourable John Baird, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Member of Parliament for Ottawa West-Nepean
“The Canadian Armed Forces ongoing commitment with their airlift operations to this multinational mission showcases our resolve to stand with our allies and make positive contributions to international security.”Lieutenant-General Jonathan Vance, Commander of Canadian Joint Operations Command
- 30 -
Department of National Defence
Phone: (613) 996-2353
Toll-Free: 1 866 377-0811
Search for related information by keyword
National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces Military
- Date modified: