News Release Article from
Archived - CNSC invites comments on discussion paper DIS-14-01, Design Extension Conditions for Nuclear Power Plants
August 29, 2014 — Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) is asking the public to provide their comments on draft discussion paper DIS-14-01, Design Extension Conditions for Nuclear Power Plants.
This document presents a summary of the CNSC’s views on design extension conditions (DECs), with the intent of establishing a dialogue with stakeholders on, and arriving at a common understanding of the associated terminology and application of the concept of DECs. The ongoing international examination of the Fukushima accident has resulted in increased efforts in developing prevention and mitigation strategies for accident situations and scenarios beyond those considered during the initial design of nuclear facilities. These accident scenarios are termed DECs, and their consideration is becoming increasingly prevalent within the international nuclear community.
To review and comment on the document, visit the DIS-14-01 Web page. Please submit your comments by January 7, 2015. Comments submitted, including names and affiliations, are intended to be made public.
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment; to implement Canada’s international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- The purpose of this discussion paper is to address the concept of DECs that exist in either draft or published regulatory documents and associated Canadian standards.
- The paper presents a series of questions for the reader’s consideration. Comments and feedback should not be limited to these; any comments on DECs are encouraged.
- Design of Reactor Facilities: Nuclear Power Plants
- Deterministic Safety Analysis
- Accident Management: Severe Accident Management Programs for Nuclear Reactors
- CNSC Integrated Action Plan on the Lessons Learned from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Accident
- CNSC Fukushima Task Force Report
- Proposals to Amend the Radiation Protection Regulations
- Safety of Nuclear Power Plants: Design (IAEA)
- Approaches and Tools for Severe Accident Analysis for Nuclear Power Plants (IAEA)
Media and Community Relations
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Health and Safety Economics and Industry
- Date modified: