News Release Article from
Archived - Harper Government Investment in High Tech Equipment Advances Alberta's Micro and Nanotechnology Industry
July, 21, 2014 – Edmonton, Alberta – Western Economic Diversification Canada
Today, the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced an investment of $3.3 million toward the purchase and installation of specialized advanced manufacturing and product development equipment at the Alberta Centre for Advanced Micro Nano Technology Products (ACAMP), as well as training on the use of this new equipment for small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
This support, combined with an investment of $800,000 from Alberta Innovates Technology Futures, will enable ACAMP to expand their services and provide businesses with affordable access to prototype manufacturing that is currently unavailable in western Canada. By helping SMEs accelerate the development and commercialization of innovative products, this project will help strengthen the global competitiveness of western Canadian technology companies.
Approximately 80 Alberta SMEs will benefit from this initiative, which is expected to result in the development of new product prototypes, the creation of new jobs in the field, as well as connections between SMEs and multi-national companies. This equipment will also assist ACAMP's outreach activities across the western Canadian provinces.
- ACAMP is a not-for-profit organization that supports the commercialization of micro and nanotechnology (MNT).
- Since 2008, the organization has collaborated with over 175 companies in a variety of sectors including energy, clean technology, health and medical, as well as agriculture and forestry. Projects range from simulation, prototype to production.
- Through ACAMP's services, 10 companies have generated over $70 million in revenue per year and over 3,400 highly qualified personnel have been trained.
"Our Government is proud to support small- and medium-sized enterprises by investing in micro and nanotechnology product development and commercialization. Through technology advancements, such as today's announcement, we are helping to increase Western Canada's competitive advantage, demonstrating our commitment to supporting jobs, growth and long-term prosperity."- Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification
"By investing in ACAMP, we're growing the province's entrepreneurial expertise in micro and nano technology. Our support of Centres for Research and Commercialization like ACAMP is another way we're helping foster technology development, advancing product commercialization and supporting economic diversification in Alberta."
- Dave Hancock, Premier and Minister of Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education
"Thanks to Western Economic Diversification Canada and Alberta Innovates Technology Futures, SMEs will be able to globally compete in complex integrated micro and nano-based systems. ACAMP's capabilities are unique in North America and through the addition of state-of-the-art equipment our expert staff members are able to provide new product development support such as combining state-of-the-art sensors with control systems for advanced sensor fusion products, microfluidics and laser assemblies. These innovative technologies can be applied to various sectors including clean technology, pipeline monitoring and inspection, health and medical, consumer and commercial, conventional energy, robotics and intelligent systems, as well as agriculture and forestry."
- Ken Brizel, Chief Executive Officer, ACAMP
- Federal Investment Supports Commercialization of New Micro and Nanotechnology Products
- PM announces investment in Alberta’s high-tech sector
- Government of Canada investment strengthens commercialization opportunities in Alberta’s nanotechnology sector
- Commercialization is the Focus at New Nanotechnology Centre
- Alberta Centre for Advanced MNT Products
- Alberta Innovates Technology Futures
Office of the Minister
Western Economic Diversification
Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education
Chief Executive Officer
WD Toll-Free Number: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-877-303-3388
Website: WD is online at www.wd-deo.gc.ca.
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
Search for related information by keyword
Western Economic Diversification Canada Science and Technology Education and Training Economics and Industry
- Date modified: