News Release Article from
Archived - Minister Blaney highlights one million members milestone for NEXUS
The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness announced that the NEXUS program has surpassed its one millionth member milestone. The bi-national program administered in collaboration with the United States (U.S.) has been growing in popularity since its inception, as more travellers realize the benefits of membership.
Avoiding line-ups at primary inspection lanes at some of Canada's busiest airports and land ports of entry is the principal benefit of NEXUS membership. Furthermore, in recent years, NEXUS members have also enjoyed expedited service in security screening lines at major Canadian airports, whether they are travelling domestically, to the United States from a preclearance airport, or internationally.
The membership numbers have been rising as a result of the benefits implemented under the Canada/U.S. Beyond the Border Action Plan, such as more lanes and joint enrolment blitzes with the Canada Border Service Agency and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Additionally, Prime Minister Harper announced in February this year that we intend to expand the trusted traveller programs to include eligible citizens from third countries to further facilitate the flow of low-risk travellers and goods across borders, beginning with Mexico.
- The NEXUS program has now surpassed the one millionth member milestone, up from just over 600,000 in November 2011.
- Since the announcement of the Beyond the Border Action Plan in December 2011, new applications for NEXUS have increased from 2,500 to more than 4,500 per week.
- Beyond the Border Action Plan NEXUS initiatives implemented to date include:
· Conducting enrolment blitzes to help with increasing application volumes;
· Streamlining the membership renewal process;
· Extending membership eligibility to Canadian and United States citizens who
currently do not reside in Canada or the United States;
· Opening 10 new NEXUS lanes at ports of entry across the country;
· Expanding Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority
(CATSA) security screening lines in domestic, trans-border (preclearance) and
international areas at major Canadian airports; and
· Expediting clearance through the Transportation Security Administration
Pre-√™ lanes at over 100 participating U.S. airports for domestic, trans-border
and international flights.
“Reaching, and going beyond, the one millionth member milestone is a significant achievement for the NEXUS program. Through increased membership and by continually facilitating the flow of legitimate travel across the shared Canada–U.S. border, our Government can concentrate our efforts on continued economic growth and job creation.”
The Honourable Steven Blaney
Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
“NEXUS is an example of the strong working relationship we have with our partners at U.S. Customs and Border Protection that helps keep both our countries safe, while allowing the movement of lawful travel that is so important to both our countries.”
President, Canada Border Services Agency
“CBP is proud of the success of trusted traveller programs like NEXUS. Trusted traveller programs, such as NEXUS, SENTRI, and Global Entry, allow our officers to concentrate their efforts on potentially higher-risk travelers and goods while speeding up legitimate travel and trade.”
R. Gil Kerlikowske
Commissioner, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
“The Quebec trucking industry is very happy about the success of the NEXUS program. Increased participation in the program can only be beneficial for security and is definitely an important economic tool for our two countries.”
Chief Executive Officer, Association du camionnage du Québec
Positive comments on the NEXUS program on social media:
- “I’m really glad I took the time to get my NEXUS card!!! No waiting in line at customs!!” Jann Arden, musician
- “A NEXUS card is a lovely thing.” Natalie DiScala, senior Web editor, Style at Home Magazine
- “I can’t live without it.” Jessica Mulroney, television spokesperson
- “It takes all the hassles out of travel. Trust me, you will love it!” Johnny Jet, worldwide traveller and blogger
- “Am updating #Nexus card. Just saw a customs officer go way beyond - in terms of compassion and process - in helping a desperate traveller.” W. Brett Wilson, author and entrepreneur
- 30 -
Canada Border Services Agency
Search for related information by keyword
Canada Border Services Agency Processes
- Date modified: