News Release Article from
Archived - Harper Government Strengthens Western Canadian Aerospace, Defence and Security Sector
July 7, 2014 – Calgary, Alberta – Western Economic Diversification Canada
Corresponding Document: Photo Gallery
Today in her opening address at WestDef 2014, the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced funding of $65,000 in support of the Western Canadian Defence Industries Association’s (WCDIA) annual conference.
Currently in its fifth year, WestDef is an annual event for the Western Canadian defence and security industries. The theme of WestDef 2014 is Creating Innovative Opportunities in a Post Afghanistan World, which looks to the future of the defence security industries through educational sessions, innovative product showcases, business-to-business meetings, and networking events.
As a facilitator of strategic partnerships and business relationships, WestDef is a valuable event for Western Canadian businesses, connecting small- and medium-sized enterprises with key decision makers, and promoting trade and investment in the defence and security industries.
- Canada’s defence and security industries directly employ approximately 71,000 people, and generate over $12.6 billion in annual revenues, with a $4.4 billion positive trade balance.
- WestDef 2014 features an expanded program to include two full days of concurrent sessions.
- Federal support has also allowed WestDef 2014 to expand its trade show space and innovation showcase to enable an additional 50 attendees to participate over 2013.
“Our Government is committed to strengthening the aerospace, defence and security industries in the West and across Canada. Through our support for WestDef 2014, we are creating jobs and growth in this important economic sector.”The Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification
“As we reflect over the past year since WestDef 2013, we as an industry are proud of the perseverance and commitment we have maintained to ensure western Canadian defence and security companies are provided with opportunities to continue to showcase and promote their capabilities on the national and international stage. The continued support for WestDef from industry and government, specifically WD, prove the commitment towards a common goal of strengthening a business environment in which we can all compete.”JR Cox, Chairman, Western Canadian Defence Industries Association
- Harper Government Supports Western Canadian Aerospace, Defence and Security Industries at WestDef Symposium
- Minister Yelich Promotes Western Canadian Defence and Security Capabilities at WESTDEF Symposium
- Minister of State Lynne Yelich Outlines Federal Commitment to Western Canada’s Aerospace and Defence Sector
- Minister of State Lynne Yelich Participates in the Alberta Defence Industries Symposium
- Trade and investment opportunities in Western Canada
- WestDef 2014
Office of the Minister
Western Economic Diversification Canada
Executive Director, WestDef
Western Canadian Defence Industries Association
WD Toll-Free Number: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-877-303-3388
Website: WD is online at www.wd-deo.gc.ca.
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
Search for related information by keyword
Western Economic Diversification Canada Science and Technology Military Government and Politics Economics and Industry
- Date modified: