News Release Article from
Archived - Government of Canada Invests in Advanced Manufacturing for Marine Technology
Contribution to Dominis Engineering's innovative machining process creates new market opportunities
July 3, 2014 – Ottawa, Ontario – Department of Industry
Industry Minister James Moore and Royal Galipeau, Member of Parliament for Ottawa–Orléans, today announced an important investment in Dominis Engineering Ltd.'s latest research project, which is aimed at developing an innovative new production process for large naval propellers. The contribution will allow Dominis to expand the market opportunities for its state-of-the-art marine products and keep the firm at the forefront of marine technology advances, where innovation is essential for long-term competitiveness.
- Through the Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative (SADI), the Government of Canada is making a repayable contribution of $544,500 to support research and development by Dominis. This Ottawa company is a leader in the production of high-precision marine propellers, propeller blades, impellers and turbines.
- Founded in 1985, Dominis designs and produces turbines, propellers and impellers for both Canadian and American clients. The company recently supplied 20 propeller blades for Canadian patrol frigates.
- Through this project, Dominis will develop improved machining and production processes for marine propellers and impellers. Already a leading global supplier of marine propulsion technology, Dominis aims to increase efficiencies in its manufacturing process for its products, which will create larger market opportunities for its products.
- Industry Canada's SADI provides repayable contributions to support research and development projects in the aerospace, space, defence and security sectors.
- SADI helps firms develop new technologies, attract and retain highly skilled workers, and collaborate with universities and colleges.
"Our government is proud to support research projects like this that create jobs and support the growth of Canada's economy. This investment will help maintain Canada as a leader in marine technology research and allow Dominis Engineering to expand its market reach."– Industry Minister James Moore
"This is great news for our community. By supporting Dominis's advanced manufacturing R&D, our government is helping the company to grow its industry presence and partner with talented student researchers. This investment means new economic opportunities in Ottawa and Orléans."– Royal Galipeau, Member of Parliament for Ottawa–Orléans
- Industry Canada's Industrial Technologies Office
- Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative
- Dominis Engineering Ltd.
Follow us on Twitter: @industrycanada
Office of the Minister of Industry
Search for related information by keyword
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada Economics and Industry
- Date modified: