News Release Article from
Archived - CNSC publishes REGDOC-2.5.2, Design of Reactor Facilities: Nuclear Power Plants
May 28, 2014, Ottawa, ON - Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) has published REGDOC-2.5.2, Design of Reactor Facilities: Nuclear Power Plants.
REGDOC-2.5.2 establishes a set of comprehensive design requirements and guidance that are risk informed and align with accepted national and international codes and practices, including the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Safety Standards Series No. SSR-2/1, Safety of Nuclear Power Plants: Design.
This regulatory document also implements recommendations from the CNSC's Fukushima Task Force Report, including improved requirements for spent fuel storage, new requirements for mobile equipment, and more comprehensive coverage for design extension conditions.
REGDOC-2.5.2 consolidates the updated requirements and guidance related to the design of nuclear power plants set out in draft RD-337 version 2, Design of Nuclear Power Plants, and draft GD-337, Guidance for the Design of New Nuclear Power Plants, which were released for public comment in 2012. For more information, see the REGDOC-2.5.2 Web page
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment; to implement Canada's international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- REGDOC-2.5.2 takes into account findings from a benchmarking study, which compared Canadian design requirements for nuclear power plants with those in the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Finland, and the Western European Nuclear Regulators Association
- Recommendations from the Fukushima Task Force Report that were implemented in REGDOC-2.5.2 include improved requirements for spent fuel storage and new requirements for mobile equipment for use during emergency situations
- Key changes from IAEA document SSR-2/1 that were adopted in REGDOC-2.5.2 include the added requirement for the design to explicitly consider the construction phase and expansion of the plant's fundamental safety functions to include cooling of all fuel (not just the core)
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Safety Standards Series No. SSR-2/1, Safety of Nuclear Power Plants: Design
- CNSC's Fukushima Task Force Report
- Class I Nuclear Facilities Regulations
- Regulatory Framework Overview
- Regulatory Documents
Media and Community Relations
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Science and Technology
- Date modified: