News Release Article from
Archived - CBSA seizes over 123 kg of suspected cocaine at Blue Water Bridge
May 13, 2014 Point Edward, Ontario Canada Border Services Agency
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) announced today the significant seizure of over 123 kg of suspected cocaine, found concealed in a pickup truck.
On May 6, 2014, the truck arrived at the Blue Water Bridge and was referred for a secondary examination. During the search, a detector dog indicated positively for suspected narcotics. After further examination, officers found 105 packages of suspected cocaine within the walls of the bed of the pickup truck.
The CBSA arrested the two occupants and, along with the packages, turned them over to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). The RCMP charged the two Stoney Creek men with import of a controlled substance and conspiracy to import under the Criminal Code; possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking under section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Both men are currently in custody and expected to attend the Sarnia Courthouse on May 16 for a bail hearing.
- CBSA officers in the Southern Ontario Region made 896 drug seizures in 2013.
- In the last five years, officers in that region have seized approximately 1,000 kg cocaine.
- Anyone with information about suspicious cross-border activity should contact the CBSA Border Watch Toll-free Line at 1-888-502-9060
“The CBSA works closely with its partners to protect the safety and security of its borders and to prevent cross border illegal activity, including the smuggling of illegal drugs and their subsequent impact on society.”
- Rick Comerford, Regional Director General, CBSA Southern Ontario Region
“The illicit drug trade poses a serious threat to the safety and security of our communities. We will continue to diligently work with our partners to stop these drugs from entering our communities and bring those responsible before justice.”
- Inspector Todd Gilmore, acting District Commander, RCMP Southwestern Ontario
- 30 -
Southern Ontario Communications
Ontario RCMP Media Relations
Search for related information by keyword
Government of Canada Law
- Date modified: