News Release Article from
Archived - Government of Canada Lists IRFAN-Canada as terrorist entity
It is now a criminal offence to knowingly deal in the property or finances of this entity
April 29, 2014 Ottawa Public Safety Canada
The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, today announced that the Government of Canada has listed the International Relief Fund for the Afflicted and Needy-Canada (IRFAN-Canada) as a terrorist entity under the Criminal Code.
IRFAN-Canada is a not for profit organization operating in Canada. Between 2005 and 2009, IRFAN-Canada transferred approximately $14.6 million worth of resources to various organizations associated with Hamas, a listed terrorist entity under the Criminal Code.
The law mandates severe penalties for persons and organizations that deal in the property or finances of a listed entity. In addition, it is a crime to knowingly participate in, or contribute to, any activity of a listed entity for the purpose of enhancing the ability of the entity to facilitate or carry out a terrorist activity. This offence and related offences are set out, in full, in the Criminal Code.
The actions of IRFAN-Canada meet the legal threshold set out in the Criminal Code, which requires the existence of reasonable grounds to believe that the entity has knowingly participated in or facilitated a terrorist activity or is knowingly acting on behalf of, at the direction of, or in association with such an entity.
- The listing process requires extensive analysis of intelligence and/or criminal information.
- Between 2005 and 2009, IRFAN-Canada transferred approximately $14.6 million worth of resources to various organizations associated with Hamas.
- The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) revoked IRFAN-Canada's charitable status in 2011. CRA's findings indicated that IRFAN-Canada provided resources to operating partners that were run by officials of Hamas, openly supported and provided funding to Hamas, or have been listed by various jurisdictions because of their support for Hamas.
“The Government of Canada is unwavering in its commitment to protect Canadians from the threat of terrorism. By listing IRFAN-Canada, we are sending the strong message that Canada will not tolerate terrorist activities including the financing of terrorist groups. IRFAN-Canada has knowingly financed Hamas, a listed terrorist entity, for many years. The well intentioned and charitable Canadians who sought to support humanitarian relief through this organization deserve better.”
– Steven Blaney, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
- The names of listed entities under the Criminal Code can be found on the Public Safety Canada Web site at www.publicsafety.gc.ca under National Security, Counter-Terrorism.
Office of the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness
Public Safety Canada
Follow Public Safety Canada (@Safety_Canada) on Twitter.
For more information, please visit the website www.publicsafety.gc.ca.
Search for related information by keyword
Public Safety Canada Health and Safety
- Date modified: