News Release Article from
CNSC Invites Comments on Draft REGDOC-2.3.1, Conduct of Licensed Activities: Construction of Reactor Facilities
April 24, 2014, Ottawa, ON - Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) is asking the public to provide their comments on draft REGDOC-2.3.1, Conduct of Licensed Activities: Construction of Reactor Facilities.
The document sets out the CNSC’s requirements and guidance for the construction of nuclear reactor facilities in Canada. It identifies and explains safety-significant construction activities to be considered, checked, and reviewed in order to ensure that adequate provisions have been made for thesafety of the public, workers, and the environment.
To review and comment on the document, visit the REGDOC-2.3.1 Web page. Please submit your feedback by June 24, 2014. Comments submitted, including names and affiliations, will be made public.
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment; to implement Canada’s international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- Effective oversight of construction activities is essential for ensuring the facilities are built to the requisite quality to operate as designed.
- REGDOC-2.3.1 applies to the activities carried out under a construction licence for a new nuclear reactor facility and to major modification/refurbishment of an existing nuclear reactor.
- Construction activities include: manufacturing and assembling the components; carrying out civil work; installing and maintaining structures, systems and components; and testing.
- Construction of Reactor Facilities is a companion piece to Commissioning of Reactor Facilities, which is also under development. When both documents are published, they will be put together as discrete parts of a larger document entitled REGDOC-2.3.1, Conduct of Licensed Activities.
- CNSC’s Consultation page
- Class I Nuclear Facilities Regulations
- Regulatory Framework Overview
- Regulatory Documents
Media and Community Relations
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Date Modified: