News Release Article from
Archived - Value-added Wood Products to Find New Market Opportunities
Trade and Market Development Program Will Open New Markets to Western Canadian Companies
April 15, 2014 – Langley, British Columbia – Western Economic Diversification Canada
Corresponding Document: Photo Gallery
Today, the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification announced $1,003,326 in funding to support a project by the BC Wood Specialties Group Association (BCWSGA) that will promote market development in the Americas.
The goal of the project is to identify opportunities in western U.S., Mexican, Central and South American markets for value-added wood products, and prepare companies to participate in trade missions and tradeshows in these markets.
Establishing a trade presence in markets across the Americas, would enhance the sales of value-added wood products, thereby increasing exports, boosting foreign investment in western Canada, and creating jobs.
- The value-added wood products sector includes companies that manufacture high-value products such as specialty lumber, millwork, cabinetry, furniture, engineered wood products, prefabricated homes, and log home and timber-frame structures.
- Canada has 10 per cent of the world’s total forest cover with more than 100 tree species, allowing for the ability to deliver diverse, high-quality wood products.
- The BCWSGA is a not-for-profit trade association that was formed in 1989. Its mandate is to assist BC manufacturers of value-added wood products to achieve global competitiveness by providing marketing services to capitalize on new market opportunities.
"The wood products sector is one of the cornerstones of our economy and providing jobs and opportunities for economic growth. By promoting the quality of locally manufactured wood products in new markets, this project will further enhance the sector’s value to our economy."- Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification
"This announcement is good news for Langley, the Lower Mainland, and British Columbia. This investment in value added wood products and manufacturing demonstrates our Government’s commitment to promoting jobs, businesses, and economic growth through trade and development."
- Mark Warawa, Member of Parliament for Langley
"The value-added wood products manufacturers in B.C. are very pleased with today’s announcement and our partnership with the Federal Government through WD. The collaborative effort by Industry and Government to grow these rapidly expanding regional markets for B.C. value-added wood products will result in increased sales, the expansion of B.C.’s secondary manufacturing capability and the creation of new jobs."
- John Gillis, Chairman, BC Wood and General Manager, Taiga Building Products
"New regional markets in Western United States, Mexico and Latin America will be the first step towards increased sales and market diversification for many small and medium sized manufacturers of finished wood products in B.C. The next three years will be a time of rapid economic growth in these regions. With this new program and funding provided by WD, BC Wood and B.C.'s value-added wood products manufacturers will be well positioned to take advantage of that growth."
- Grant McKinnon, Past Chairman, BC Wood and Partner, Pacific Homes
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of State
Western Economic Diversification
Chief Executive Officer
BC Wood Specialties Group Association
WD Toll-Free Number: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-877-303-3388
Website: WD is online at www.wd-deo.gc.ca.
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.
Search for related information by keyword
Western Economic Diversification Canada Economics and Industry
- Date modified: