News Release Article from
Archived - Chief of Defence Staff announces Canadian Armed Forces senior promotions, appointments and retirements
NR - 13.224 - July 17, 2013
OTTAWA – General Tom Lawson, Chief of the Defence Staff, is pleased to announce additions to this year’s list of senior Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) promotions, appointments, and retirements. These officers lead the CAF in defending Canada’s values and interests at home and abroad.
"To those moving on, I offer my personal appreciation for your years of dedicated service to Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces," said General Tom Lawson, the Chief of the Defence Staff. "And I congratulate those assuming new responsibilities. I am confident that the men and women under your command will benefit from your inspired leadership.”
The following additional General and Flag Officer promotions, appointments and retirements will occur in 2013:
- After distinguished service to Canada and the Canadian Armed Forces, the following General and Flag Officers will retire in 2013:
- Rear-Admiral A. Smith;
- Major-General J.G.J.C. Collin;
- Brigadier-General J.G.S. Bédard;
- Brigadier-General M.R. Dabros;
- Brigadier-General C.R. King; and
- Brigadier-General H.J. Kowal.
- The following promotion and appointments will be made as a result of these retirements:
- Major-General J.R. Ferron was appointed Commander 1 Canadian Division, in Kingston, replacing Major-General Collin.
- Brigadier-General J.G. Milne will be promoted Major-General and appointed Co-Lead of the Defence Renewal Team, in Ottawa, replacing Rear-Admiral Smith.
- Brigadier-General P.J. Bury will be appointed Director General, Reserves and Cadets, in Ottawa, replacing Brigadier-General Milne.
- Brigadier-General M.K. Overton will be appointed Commander-Defence Advisor, Canadian Defence Liaison Staff, in London, replacing Brigadier-General Dabros.
- Brigadier-General M.P. Jorgensen will be appointed Chief of Staff for the Vice Chief of Defence Staff, in Ottawa, replacing Brigadier-General King.
- Brigadier-General D.W. Joyce will be appointed Director General Military Careers, in Ottawa, replacing Brigadier-General Kowal.
- In addition, the following promotions and appointments will occur:
- Brigadier-General P. Rutherford will be appointed Deputy C/J5 Central Command Headquarters, in Tampa Bay.
- Colonel J.R.A.S. Lafaut will be promoted Brigadier-General (acting while so employed) and appointed Associate Director General, Security Transformation, replacing Brigadier-General Rutherford.
- Acting Brigadier-General T.N. Balfe was promoted Brigadier-General (substantive) and appointed as International Security Assistance Forces Deputy to the Deputy Chief of Staff Communications, in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Colonel T.L. Harris will be promoted Brigadier-General (acting while so employed) and appointed Senior Military Advisor to the Privy Council Office, in Ottawa, replacing Brigadier-General Joyce.
- 30 -
For more information on senior appointments at the Department of National Defence, please visit: www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dsa-dns/index-eng.asp.
- Date Modified: