News Release Article from
Government of Canada ministers recognize girls as agents of change
Government of Canada joins Plan International’s global campaign to mark International Day of the Girl
September 30, 2016 - Ottawa, Ontario - Global Affairs Canada
On October 3 and 4, 2016, six Government of Canada ministers will be accompanied as they perform their daily tasks by six adolescent girls, selected by Plan International Canada as youth advocates. These young women will work with political leaders to demonstrate their potential to be powerful agents of change.
This is part of Plan International’s global campaign to challenge political, social and economic leaders around the world to invite girls to share their views directly with decision makers and to illustrate every girl’s right to equal opportunities.
The empowerment of women and girls is key to raising the voices of women everywhere and is a priority across Canadian government policy and programming.
Canada is proud to support young Canadian girls in reaching their full potential and being positive influencers in their communities and internationally.
The following ministers will take part in this campaign:
- The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie
- The Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs
- The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Minister of Small Business and Tourism
- The Honourable Patricia A. Hajdu, Minister of Status of Women
- The Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change
- The Honourable Bill Morneau, Minister of Finance
The girls will be side by side with their respective ministers and attend ministerial briefings, stakeholder meetings and a House of Commons Question Period, among other activities.
To keep track of all the action on October 3 and 4, follow #GirlsBelongHere and the social media accounts of the participating ministers and their departments.
- Canada and International Day of the Girl
- International Day of the Girl: Facts
- Plan International Canada
Office of the Minister of International Development and La Francophonie
Office of the Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
Office of the Leader of the Government in the House of Commons
Office of the Minister of Status of Women
Office of the Minister of Environment and Climate Change
Office of the Minister of Finance
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. William Francis Morneau Hon. Patricia A. Hajdu Hon. Marie-Claude Bibeau Hon. Catherine McKenna Hon. Carolyn Bennett Hon. Bardish Chagger Status of Women Canada Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada Global Affairs Canada Environment and Climate Change Canada Department of Finance Canada Government and Politics
- Date modified: