News Release Article from
Astronauts Wanted: Canada is Recruiting Astronauts for Future Space Missions
June 17, 2016 - Longueuil, Quebec - Canadian Space Agency
Have you ever wanted to go to space? The Canadian Space Agency (CSA) wants you!
Today, the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and the Minister responsible for the CSA, launched Canada's fourth astronaut recruitment campaign. The CSA is seeking the next generation of space explorers to pave the way for potential future space missions.
The Agency is accepting applications from June 17 to August 15, and expects to announce selected candidates in Summer 2017. This next class of Canadian astronaut candidates will start their training at NASA in August 2017.
Requirements and details for applications can be found here: asc-csa.gc.ca/astronauts
Through our participation in the International Space Station, Canada has developed an internationally-renowned expertise in robotics and optics; has provided access to this unique laboratory to Canadian scientists for their science experiments and has flown eight astronauts to space over 16 missions.
"Our astronauts have been a source of national pride for our country. If you have aspired to go beyond our planet's frontier, now is your chance to make this dream a reality. This class of Canadian astronauts will be part of a new generation of explorers to advance critical science and research aboard the International Space Station. Just like the astronauts before them, they will inspire young Canadians to view science and technology as accessible and interesting tools they can use to build their own adventures."- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
- CSA will select two qualified astronaut candidates from a diverse pool of Canadian citizens with a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Those selected after the first round of evaluation will take part in a rigorous selection process that will last almost a year.
- To build on Canada's proud history in space and create opportunities for the space sector, Budget 2016 provides up to $379 million over eight years for the CSA to extend Canada's participation in the International Space Station to 2024.
- Information kit for the recruitment campaign
- Application requirements
- B-roll (including images from the past recruitment campaign)
- 30 -
Canadian Space Agency
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains Canadian Space Agency Science and Technology
- Date modified: