News Release Article from
Minister Dion concludes successful visit to Geneva
March 3, 2016 - Ottawa, Ontario - Global Affairs Canada
The Honourable Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today concluded a successful three-day visit to Geneva, Switzerland, where he spoke to the United Nations Human Rights Council, the High-Level Segment of the Conference on Disarmament and the First International Pledging Conference on Landmines.
As part of Canada’s support for UN mechanisms to advance human rights, the Minister reiterated the $15-million commitment in new core funding for the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) over the next three years, as well as funding to strengthen the OHCHR’s human rights oversight in Burundi.
In confirming the Government of Canada’s deepened engagement with the UN, Minister Dion also announced Canada’s support for Canadian independent expert Marcia Kran’s candidacy for the Human Rights Committee.
Minister Dion also underlined the importance Canada places on the issues of non-proliferation and disarmament and his concern with the continuing impasse in the Conference on Disarmament.
“Canada will continue to strengthen its engagement with the multilateral system in the weeks and months to come. Canada remains committed to a world where diversity is recognized and protected, one where all individuals can realize their full potential.”
- Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Backgrounder - Advancing human rights
- Address by Minister Dion to the High-level Segment of the 31st Session of the Human Rights Council
- Address by Minister Dion on climate change, gender equality and the human rights of women and girls
- Address by Minister Dion to High-Level Panel of Ottawa Convention Pledging Conference
- Address by Minister Dion to High-Level Segment of Conference on Disarmament
- Canada’s human rights commitments
- Canada’s international human rights policy
- Minister Dion to address United Nations
- Anti-personnel landmines
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Stéphane Dion Global Affairs Canada Government and Politics
- Date modified: