News Release Article from
Auto body supply shop ordered to pay $25,000 fine for environmental violations
March 2, 2016 – Brampton, Ontario – Environment and Climate Change Canada
Iffy’s Auto Body Parts & Supplies Ltd. of Mississauga, Ontario, was ordered to pay $25,000, after pleading guilty in the Ontario Court of Justice on February 26, 2016, to contravening the Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Concentration Limits for Automotive Refinishing Products Regulations under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 (CEPA 1999). The fine will be directed to the Environmental Damages Fund (EDF).
During an inspection in March 2015, Environment and Climate Change Canada enforcement officers discovered imported automotive refinishing products containing volatile organic compounds (VOCs). The amount of VOCs contained in these products exceeded limits set out in the Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Concentration Limits for Automotive Refinishing Products Regulations under CEPA 1999.
As a result of this conviction, the company’s name will be added to the Environmental Offenders Registry.
- VOC emissions from consumer and commercial products are a significant contributing factor in the creation of air pollution in urban areas.
- The EDF is administered by Environment and Climate Change Canada. It was created in 1995 to provide a mechanism for directing funds received as a result of fines, court orders and voluntary payments to projects that will benefit our natural environment.
- The Environmental Offenders Registry contains information on convictions of corporations registered for offences committed under certain federal environmental laws.
Environment and Climate Change Canada has created a subscription service to help Canadians stay current with what the Government of Canada is doing to protect our natural environment. Subscribing to Environment and Climate Change Canada’s Enforcement Notifications is easy and free. Sign up today.
- Volatile Organic Compounds
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999
- Environmental Offenders Registry
- Environmental Damages Fund
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Catherine McKenna Environment and Climate Change Canada Nature and Environment
- Date modified: