News Release Article from
The Art Gallery of Peterborough is Open for Business
March 3, 2016 – Peterborough, Ontario – Department of Canadian Heritage
The Honourable Maryam Monsef, Member of Parliament (Peterborough–Kawartha) and Minister of Democratic Institutions, on behalf of the Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage, today announced $440,000 in funding for upgrades to the building that houses the Art Gallery of Peterborough (AGP).
The funding, provided through the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund, supported facility improvements that will allow local visitors and tourists to experience visual arts in a modernized, safe and accessible cultural space.
Don’t miss the exhibits of #ptbokawartha artists at the upgraded #artgalleryofPeterborough, Feb. 20–May 22 #ptbo
#artgalleryofPeterborough launches 3 exhibits of #ptbokawartha artists at its upgraded location, Feb. 20–May 22 #ptbo
- The Art Gallery of Peterborough is the sole public art gallery serving Peterborough and the surrounding area.
- The AGP offers free admission to its exhibits, lectures and public presentations.
- The Gallery’s mandate is to collect and display contemporary Canadian art, as well as Aboriginal art.
- From February 20 to May 22, the Art Gallery of Peterborough is displaying the work of three local artists: painters Arthur Shilling and Rebecca Padgett, and photographer Wayne Eardley.
- Funding from the Department of Canadian Heritage supported a large-scale refurbishment project to prolong the life of the historical building that hosts the gallery, enhance staff and visitor safety and accessibility, and improve collections storage and management.
“Providing Canadians with access to arts and culture is a priority for our government. Support for cultural spaces allows organizations like the Art Gallery of Peterborough to unite Canadians by reflecting our common realities.”
—The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage
“Culture is the expression of Canada’s story. Local art is not only the expression of local spirit, but also a way to capture the history of a place and its people. I am proud that our government supports projects and organizations that provide spaces for our local artists to showcase their work, and where residents and visitors can experience their local cultures.”
—The Honourable Maryam Monsef, Member of Parliament (Peterborough–Kawartha) and Minister of Democratic Institutions
“We are excited and grateful to receive this funding from the Department of Canadian Heritage. It is critically important that we act as good stewards for our exhibitions and permanent collection. This support allows us to maintain appropriate environmental standards throughout our gallery and vault, and brings recognition to our role as a collecting institution.”
—Celeste Scopelites, Director, Art Gallery of Peterborough
For more information (media only), please contact:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Mélanie Joly Canadian Heritage Society and Culture
- Date modified: