News Release Article from
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Scientist Receives Honour from China
February 26, 2016 – Ottawa, Ontario – Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Dr. Vern Burrows, an emeritus scientist at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's (AAFC) Ottawa Research and Development Centre, was presented with The International Scientific and Technological Cooperation Award of the People's Republic of China during a luncheon on February 25, 2016. The award is granted to foreign scientists, engineers, managers, or organizations that have made important contributions to China's bilateral or multilateral scientific and technological cooperation.
- Collaborating with agricultural centres and scientists in China, Dr. Burrows developed oat varieties that grow well in that country's dry, saline and alkaline soil conditions, opening up new economic opportunities for Chinese farmers and increasing China's food security.
- During his six decade career, Dr. Burrows has developed and registered 28 new oat varieties including "Donald" and "Cavena Nuda (AC Gehl)."
- His ongoing collaboration has helped strengthen the relationship between China and Canada.
- Dr. Burrows was inducted into the Canadian Science and Engineering Hall of Fame in 2014.
"Oats are an important crop that can help us solve many problems related to agriculture, health, and nutrition and I am committed to finding these solutions."- Dr. Vern Burrows, Research Scientist Emeritus, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
"Dr. Burrows' research has generated a tremendous legacy, not only for Canadian agriculture, but for the advancement of international cooperation addressing global food security challenges"- Agriculture Minister Lawrence MacAulay
- Lab coats and naked oats: The Vern Burrows Story (Video)
- Ottawa Research and Development Centre
- AAFC Scientific Cooperation with China
- Canada-China Agriculture Science Network
- China Bestows Rare Honour on Canadian Agricultural Scientist (2012)
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @AAFC_Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Lawrence MacAulay Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Agriculture
- Date modified: