News Release Article from
Government of Canada Invests in Youth Initiative to Support Francophone Culture and Economic Growth in the Hearst Region
February 25, 2016 – Hearst, ON – Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario – FedNor
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor, today announced an investment to help develop the creative economy in Hearst and surrounding communities.
FedNor funding of $31,500 will enable the Salon du livre de Hearst (SDLH) to develop and implement a strategic plan designed to promote Francophone literature through the organization's many activities. Specifically, the investment will be used to hire a youth intern for a one-year period. While on the job, the intern will help promote the SDLH's literary programming, develop corporate partnerships, prepare event budgets and financial reports, evaluate events and recommend improvements.
- The funding announced today is provided through FedNor's Economic Development Initiative (EDI), which helps foster the development of new expertise in innovation, economic diversification and business growth in Northern Ontario's Francophone communities (the region's official language minority community) and capitalize on economic opportunities made possible through linguistic duality.
- Since its inception, FedNor has helped provide more than 1525 young post-secondary graduates with their crucial first job, and assisted countless businesses and organizations, such as the Salon du livre de Hearst, in growing the economy by helping them access a qualified and talented workforce.
- The Salon du livre de Hearst aims to foster the development and promotion of the Francophone culture in Northern Ontario; advocate reading in all age groups; encourage the distribution of French publications; allow authors to meet with their audience and promote Francophone authors.
"The Government of Canada is proud to help post-secondary graduates gain valuable work experience right here in the North, while connecting employers with a highly skilled workforce. This investment will help promote literacy and the Francophone culture, strengthen the economy and enhance tourism."– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor
"I would like to thank the Government of Canada for recognizing the importance of our mandate and for supporting Francophone culture and literature in the region. Hiring a qualified youth intern will greatly benefit the Salon du livre de Hearst and help us achieve our goals."– Jean-Pierre Boutin, President, Salon du livre de Hearst
- To find out more about our programs and services, please visit: fednor.gc.ca and follow us on Twitter @FedNor.
- Follow the Minister on Twitter: @MinisterISED
Communications Officer - FedNor
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains FedNor Economics and Industry
- Date modified: