News Release Article from
Minister Dion to travel to Germany and Turkey
February 19, 2016 - Ottawa, Ontario - Global Affairs Canada
The Honourable Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today announced that he will visit Berlin, Germany, on February 21 and 22, 2016, to meet with Frank-Walter Steinmeier, Germany’s Minister of Foreign Affairs. He will then travel to Istanbul, Turkey, to participate in the High Level Partnership Forum (HLPF) on Somalia, as well as other meetings, to be held February 23 to 24.
During the meeting with his counterpart in Berlin, Minister Dion will discuss how Canada and Germany’s close partnership can be enhanced to respond to global challenges, such as the fight against terrorism, the refugee crisis, the situation in Ukraine and climate change. While in Germany, Minister Dion will also meet with other policy and thought leaders to discuss Canada’s approach to these pressing global issues.
During the HLPF on Somalia in Istanbul, Minister Dion will meet with international partners, including counterparts from Africa and the Middle East. Minister Dion’s participation in this ministerial meeting reaffirms Canada’s commitment to supporting international efforts toward a more stable, peaceful and resilient Somalia. Progress in Somalia is essential to regional security and stability in East Africa.
In Turkey, Minister Dion will also participate in a round table with Syrian opposition representatives and will reiterate Canada’s strong support for the UN-led peace process aimed at ending the Syrian conflict.
Minister Dion will also join executives from Bombardier Inc. and representatives of Turkey’s airlines for a tour of a Bombardier CS100 aircraft.
“Germany is a close friend of Canada and has shown great leadership on the challenging issues facing all of us today. I am looking forward to increasing our already very strong collaboration to tackle the most pressing issues of our time.
“We recognize Turkey’s exemplary leadership in responding to the humanitarian crisis in Syria, and Canadians are grateful for Turkey’s assistance in Canada’s initiative to resettle Syrian refugees. So far, more than 1,000 Syrian refugees have been resettled in Canada via Turkey.”
- Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Germany, together with France, has played a leading diplomatic role in mediating between Russia and Ukraine within the Minsk peace process.
- Turkey is host to the largest refugee population in the world, with over 2.5 million Syrian, Iraqi and other refugees resident in the country.
- The High Level Partnership Forum on Somalia is the latest in a series of international conferences dedicated to helping Somalia rebuild. It is being held ahead of key milestones in Somalia, notably elections to be held later in 2016.
- Minister Dion’s meeting with the Syrian opposition is the first meeting between a Canadian minister and the Syrian opposition since early 2013.
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Stéphane Dion Global Affairs Canada Government and Politics
- Date modified: