News Release Article from
New Tourism Initiative in Glovertown Will Improve Town Centre
Government of Canada supports work to enhance local tourism infrastructure
The Honourable Judy Foote, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Member of Parliament for Bonavista-Burin-Trinity, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), announced support for a new tourism initiative during an event in Glovertown today.
Through a Government of Canada investment of $168,609, the Town of Glovertown will begin Phase I of the Glovertown Town Centre Plan. The project will improve the landscaping of public property, enhance the streetscape inside the Town Centre area and simplify navigation throughout the community and on surrounding roadways.
The initiative is expected to create an attractive place for people to visit and do business, and will build strategic linkages between existing tourism assets and the business community. The Town Centre Plan will serve to strengthen the business core of the community by improving its walkability, connecting to residential areas, and improving the built environment and appearance in a way that balances aesthetics with potential business investment.
- The Government of Canada is providing $168,609 in funding to the Town of Glovertown through ACOA’s Innovative Communities Fund, which invests in strategic projects that build the economies of Atlantic Canada's communities.
- The Town of Glovertown will use this investment to conduct Phase I of the Glovertown Town Centre Plan.
- The Town of Glovertown is an incorporated municipality located just outside of Terra Nova National Park. It is home to numerous businesses involved in the shipbuilding, manufacturing and tourism industries, and is a retail and service centre for other communities on the Eastport Peninsula.
“The Government of Canada is pleased to support the Town of Glovertown as it improves its tourism infrastructure with these enhancements to the town centre. We believe that public investment in local tourism initiatives like this one is the best way to spur economic growth, job creation and broad-based prosperity.”
- Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
“The Government of Canada is focused on working with all levels of government, including municipalities like Glovertown, to build on and strengthen community assets. This is an excellent community-driven initiative that addresses the needs of the business community and residents in Glovertown, while adding appeal for tourists who visit the area.”
- Honourable Judy Foote, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Member of Parliament, Bonavista–Burin–Trinity
“We appreciate the support of the Government of Canada in working with us to make these improvements to our town centre. As a central piece of our tourism infrastructure, we expect this initiative will help to improve our economic and local business development capacity.”
- His Worship, Doug Churchill, Mayor, Town of Glovertown
Acting Director, Public Affairs
His Worship, Doug Churchill
Town of Glovertown
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency Economics and Industry
- Date modified: