News Release Article from
The Solution's in the Software
Government of Canada Supports Tech Startups
February 12, 2016 – Sydney, N.S. – Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
Today, the Honourable Mark Eyking, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) announced the Government of Canada will invest just over $216,000 in two emerging tech companies located in Sydney.
Orenda Software Solutions is receiving $141,031 through ACOA’s Business Development Program to create a social media mining/monitoring software. Currently in the start-up phase, Orenda’s software goes beyond online monitoring, data collection and sentiment analysis by applying numerical metrics to emotions, connections and associations resulting in valuable, brand and reputation intelligence. This process was designed to give organizations the power to make better decisions based on real time information.
PizzaGO is receiving $75,000 via the Business Development Program to commercialize an app on the iOS and Android platforms that will enable independent restaurants to offer customers the option of ordering online. Over the past few years, consumer-to-business communication has changed dramatically, from face-to-face, to tablet-to-tablet. The idea of PizzaGo derived from the need for independent restaurants to have access to an expanded technology menu—especially mobile ordering—in an effort to compete with larger chains. Restaurant owners enter their menu items and in as little as 20 minutes can start taking orders online.
Innovation is key to Atlantic Canada’s economic success. The Government of Canada is committed to helping Canadian businesses grow, innovate, and become more export-oriented so they can create good quality jobs and prosperity for Canadians.
- Orenda Software Solutions claimed first place and a $100,000 prize as the Zone 5 (Cape Breton) winner of the Innovacorp I-3 Technology Start-Up Competition, enabling them to further advance their software.
- Orenda has evolved in an environment where the majority of consumers judge organizations from a written post on social media, blogs, etc. This software assists business owners in getting ahead of the information curve by delivering feedback instantly online, thus providing businesses with the ability to analyze requirements accurately and respond quickly.
- Currently, 69% of consumers opt to order food online; with only 20% of independent restaurants able to offer that option. PizzaGO breaks down this barrier with their new mobile and web-based digital ordering system.
- PizzaGO was a 2014 winner in the SPARK Cape Breton competition for early stage technology companies—thereby earning $10,000 in seed funding. In addition to SPARK, PizzaGO also received funding through New Dawn’s Community Economic Development Investment Funds (CEDIF).
- What began as a service for independent pizzerias has now expanded to include all types of independent restaurants under PizzaGo’s new brand name click2order.
“Technology start-up companies are making important contributions to Atlantic Canada’s prosperity and economic sustainability. Orenda and PizzaGO are gaining recognition from peers and investors for offering smart solutions to specific scalable problems. These companies are part of a growing ecosystem in Atlantic Canada that represents new investment opportunities in markets with global reach. The Government of Canada is pleased to assist these early stage firms.”
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
“It’s great to see these two early stage companies building a solid foundation. They have plenty of room to grow, to bring their products and services to an international customer base. Everything is available right here to create a globally competitive digital business. It’s a pleasure for the Government of Canada to contribute to their development.”
- The Honourable Mark Eyking, Member of Parliament for Sydney-Victoria
“In today’s world, you can find information about any company, organization, or person from a click of a key or a swipe of a finger. Orenda pushes past the wall between organizations and the cyber-world to offer new and unique insights about how public opinions effects your brand and reputation.”
- Tanya Collier MacDonald, Founder and CEO of Orenda Software Solutions
“Assistance from ACOA has allowed us to gain early traction and learn more about what our customers need. As we grow, we strive to always be adaptable and responsive to those needs which has led us to develop an additional service called click2order - a white label online ordering solution that integrates into a restaurant’s existing website, mobile app, and Facebook page.”
- Matt Stewart, Co-Founder of PizzaGO Ordering Systems
- Innovacorp I-3 Technology Start-Up Competition & SPARK Cape Breton
- New Dawn Community Economic Development Investment Funds
- Orenda Website
- Orenda Facebook
- Orenda Twitter
- PizzaGo Website
- PizzaGo Facebook
- PizzaGo Twitter
- Click2Order Website
Acting Communications Manager
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Tanya Collier MacDonald
Founder and CEO
Orenda Software Solutions Inc.
Co-Founder and CEO
PizzaGO Ordering Systems
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency Science and Technology Processes Persons Information and Communications
Portable Document Format
The following document is available for downloading or viewing:
To access the Portable Document Format (PDF) version you must have a PDF reader installed. If you do not already have such a reader, there are numerous PDF readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet:
- Date modified: