News Release Article from
Government of Canada Invests to Enhance Tourism and Boost Economic Growth in the Hearst Region
February 12, 2016 – Hearst, ON – Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario – FedNor
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor, today announced an investment to help diversify and grow the local economy through the development and promotion of snowmobile tourism in Hearst and surrounding communities.
A FedNor investment totalling $244,511 will support two projects with the Hearst Economic Development Corporation (Hearst EDC), including $200,000 to promote off-trail powder-riding to new Francophone markets, and $44,511 to further promote trails within the Northeast Community Network region, an area which spans from Kirkland Lake to Constance Lake, to snowmobile enthusiasts worldwide.
- The funding announced today is provided through FedNor's Economic Development Initiative (EDI) and its Northern Ontario Development Program (NODP).
- The EDI is a Government of Canada initiative that is part of the Roadmap for Canada's Official Languages 2013-2018. The initiative helps foster the development of new expertise in innovation, economic diversification and business growth in Northern Ontario's Francophone communities (the region's official language minority community) and capitalize on economic opportunities made possible through linguistic duality.
- The NODP supports projects that promote sustainable community economic development, enhance business development and growth, and facilitate innovation.
"The Government of Canada is proud to invest in projects that support economic growth, diversity and competitiveness in Northern Ontario. Today's announcement will help Hearst and surrounding communities in Northeastern Ontario develop a range of outdoor tourism product offerings and reach new markets to benefit local residents and businesses."– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor
"We are thankful that the Government of Canada recognizes the value of both our projects, allowing us to bring new tourists to our communities and new customers into local businesses. We look forward to the positive results of these projects, which will help our economy grow and our communities prosper."– Luc Pépin, President, Hearst Economic Development Corporation
- To find out more about our programs and services, please visit: fednor.gc.ca and follow us on Twitter @FedNor.
- Follow the Minister on Twitter: @MinisterISED
Communications Officer - FedNor
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains FedNor Economics and Industry
- Date modified: