News Release Article from
Government of Canada Invests in Tourism Initiative in Gander
Cobb’s Pond Rotary Park to see trail enhancements.
The Town of Gander will enhance its tourism infrastructure, thanks in part to an investment from the Government of Canada. Scott Simms, Member of Parliament for Coast of Bays – Central - Notre Dame, announced funding for the project today, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA).
The Town of Gander will receive $552,676 through ACOA’s Innovative Communities Fund for Phase II of the re-development of Cobb's Pond Rotary Park. Phase I was completed between 2012 and 2014 and involved upgrading significant recreational and theatrical facilities, as well as extensive re-development of the parking area. Phase II will include the replacement and enhancement of the activity trail portion of the facility and make it fully accessible.
The Town of Gander is a major service centre for the region, serving approximately 81,000 people across 125 smaller communities. The investment towards Cobb’s Pond Rotary Park supports tourism development and business sector development, and will benefit the Town of Gander and surrounding communities in the region.
- The Government of Canada is providing funding of $552,676 for the Town of Gander through ACOA’s Innovative Communities Fund (ICF).
- ICF invests in strategic projects that build the economies of Atlantic Canada's communities.
- The Town of Gander was established in 1938 and has a population of approximately 11,000. It was a strategic military air base during World War II, is an international airport town, and continues to grow around the airport and related industries.
“The Government of Canada is pleased to support the Town of Gander in improving its tourism infrastructure. We recognize the value of enhancing tourism and community initiatives through public investments like this one as the best way to spur economic growth, job creation and broad-based prosperity.”
- Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
“Cobb’s Pond Rotary Park is a focal point in the Town of Gander and enjoyed by local residents, visitors from surrounding communities and tourists from near and far. The facility is a vital community asset, and this next portion of re-development will enable the region to improve the tourism and small convention markets to help grow the local economy.”
- Scott Simms, Member of Parliament for Coast of Bays—Central—Notre Dame
“We are very excited about Phase II of the Cobb’s Pond Rotary Park project and the Government of Canada’s partnership with us. I’m delighted that this phase of construction will make the facility fully accessible, allowing more people to enjoy its beauty for many years to come.”
- His Worship, Claude Elliott, Mayor, Town of Gander
Acting Director, Public Affairs
Mayor Claude Elliott
Town of Gander
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency Economics and Industry
- Date modified: