News Release Article from
Canadian Army soldiers deploy and return under Operation REASSURANCE
February 11, 2016
OTTAWA – Today, the first group of Canadian Army soldiers from 5 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (5 CMBG), based in Valcartier, Quebec, departed for Poland in support of Operation REASSURANCE. Throughout February, approximately 220 soldiers from 5 CMBG will relieve fellow Brigade members who have participated in several multi-national exercises, focusing on developing better interoperability with NATO allies as well as showcasing their capabilities and leadership skills on the world stage.
- On April 16, 2014, NATO agreed on and began to implement a series of military measures to reinforce NATO’s collective defence, demonstrating the strength of Allied solidarity in response to Russian aggression and provocation against Ukraine.
- Operation REASSURANCE refers to the military activities undertaken by the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) to support NATO assurance measures through the provision of military capabilities for training, exercises, demonstrations and assigned NATO tasks.
- The CAF response in support of NATO’s request for enhanced assurance measures promotes security and stability in Central and Eastern Europe, and demonstrates the readiness and professionalism of the CAF.
- Operation REASSURANCE supports a series of agreed-upon military measures to help reinforce NATO’s collective defence and demonstrate the strength of Allied solidarity. These measures are based on the principles of defence, deterrence and de-escalation.
- Canadian Army personnel have been deployed to Eastern and Central Europe since 2014. CAF members will participate in various skills training events in airborne and infantry operations, alongside Polish, American and other NATO allies, with a view to enhance Alliance interoperability and readiness.
- 5 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group’s first deployment on Operation REASSURANCE was in June 2015.
“The new rotation of soldiers who have departed from Valcartier to join Operation REASSURANCE demonstrates Canada’s ongoing commitment to supporting our allies. Canada’s involvement in NATO exercises and training activities provides an excellent opportunity to enhance the Canadian Armed Forces’ ability to operate with our NATO allies, building cohesion within the Alliance.”Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of National Defence
- Operation REASSURANCE webpage
- For pictures and video of Operation REASSURANCE, please visit: http://www.forcesimages.ca.
- National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces
Canadian Army Links
- Canadian Army website
- Canadian Army on Facebook
- Canadian Army on Twitter
- Canadian Army on YouTube
- Canadian Army on Flickr
- 30 -
Captain Mathieu Dufour
Public Affairs Officer
5 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group
Telephone: 418-844-5000, ext. 4688
Department of National Defence
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Harjit Singh Sajjan National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces Military
- Date modified: