News Release Article from
Eastern PEI Company Develops New Remote Wastewater Solutions
February 11, 2016 – Montague, PE – Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
What are communities and facilities to do when a hook-up to centralized wastewater treatment services is not possible or too expensive? Ask Island Water Technologies Inc. (IWT), and they will tell you about their next-generation wastewater treatment technologies. The PEI-based company has to date commercialized, ClearPod - drop-in solution for home-owners that restores the function of poorly performing septic systems. With support from ACOA they are looking to expand their product line and have designed REGEN - a modular, energy independent wastewater treatment system developed specifically for rural population clusters.
The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-food and Member of Parliament for Cardigan, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), today announced government support for IWT to further its research and development on a prototype called REGEN.
IWT will continue to carry out work on its REGEN technology and commercialize this wastewater treatment solution for remote communities and facilities where hook-up to centralized facilities is not a viable option. The REGEN solution is targeted towards remote municipalities, military, mining and disaster relief situations, all of which have indicated the need for a wastewater treatment solution.
- The Government of Canada, through ACOA’s Business Development Program, is providing a conditionally repayable contribution of $500,000 to this project.
- Island Water Technologies Incorporated is a Prince Edward Island based company that specializes in modular, solar powered wastewater treatment solutions. The company provides self-powered wastewater treatment for domestic and industrial industries.
- In 2014, CNBC listed IWT as one of the 20 hottest start-ups in the world for its work specializing in modular renewably-powered wastewater treatment.
- IWT has developed three unique technologies: REGEN, the solar powered wastewater treatment system for decentralized wastewater treatment applications outlined in this project; SENTRY, a bio-electrochemical sensor for communicating with biology in treatment systems; and ClearPod, a drop-in retrofit solution for improved performance of residential septic systems.
- ACOA supported IWT in its initial project to design, develop and demonstrate the prototype. This subsequent project will involve additional applied research and development, system scaling and integration in order to successfully commercialize the product.
“The Government of Canada is working to create the right conditions for Canadian entrepreneurs to innovate and thrive. With innovative thinking and leadership, Island Water Technologies is a fine example of a company that can flourish and play a part in strengthening the Canadian economy.”
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister Responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
“I am pleased to announce the Government of Canada’s support for Island Water Technologies to further develop and commercialize its state-of-the-art wastewater system. Our Canadian companies are leaders in many fields and we intend to support them in their pursuit to grow, innovate and export.”
- The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food and Member of Parliament, Cardigan on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister Responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
“At Island Water Technologies we are very excited at the potential our wastewater treatment technologies bring to rural home-owners both here and abroad. We currently have a unique, ClearPod treatment solution for homeowners with under-performing septic systems. This funding from ACOA is a key component in us validating our improved REGEN technology, expanding our product offerings and driving future commercial success”
- Mr. Patrick Kiely, CEO, Island Water Technologies
Acting Director of Communications
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
VP of Operations
Island Water Technologies
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency Economics and Industry
- Date modified: