News Release Article from
Government of Canada Supports Productivity Improvements for Manufacturer in Vaughan
February 11, 2016 – Vaughan, Ontario – Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
Today, the Honourable Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism, along with Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan–Woodbridge, announced an investment of up to $837,500 in Cutler Forest Products to increase productivity, expand operations and support job creation. This announcement was made on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for FedDev Ontario.
Cutler Forest Products designs and manufactures ready-to-assemble cabinetry for kitchen, bath and storage solutions, as well as constructing and wholesaling wood products. The FedDev Ontario investment will allow Cutler to acquire state-of-the-art equipment and consolidate its manufacturing services at a single 195,000-square-foot facility in Vaughan, thereby increasing productivity and its capacity to innovate and become more competitive.
This project will support the company's efforts to expand its customer base and the export of its products to the United States. It will also benefit the wood, laminate and veneer supply chains across Canada that provide materials to Cutler.
- The repayable contribution of up to $837,500 is being provided through FedDev Ontario's Investing in Business Growth and Productivity initiative. FedDev Ontario is providing this investment toward a total project cost of $3,350,000.
- It is expected that up to 40 full-time, skilled jobs will be created by 2018 and that $2,512,500 will be leveraged through private sector investment.
- Cutler Forest Products, established in 1973, includes three operating divisions: Cutler Kitchen and Bath, Cutler Modern Living and Cutler Distribution & Fabrication.
- The company's main product lines are ready-to-assemble kitchen and bathroom cabinetry and storage solutions.
- Since 2009, FedDev Ontario has committed more than $530 million to approximately 2,150 manufacturing projects. This includes both direct support to recipients and funding to third parties who further distribute the funding on behalf of FedDev Ontario.
- Canada's manufacturing sector is a cornerstone of the economy, accounting for more than 10 percent of Canada's gross domestic product and employing 1.7 million Canadians, nearly 750,000 of which live in Ontario. Its performance is central to the overall health of the economy.
"The Government of Canada knows that investing in highly innovative companies will help fuel economic growth and long-term prosperity for southern Ontario. This funding will allow Cutler to acquire state-of-the-art tools and technologies to expand operations and compete in global markets."- The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism
"The support announced today will allow an established manufacturing company right here in Vaughan to make important improvements to its operations, which will allow the company to create quality, full-time jobs, strengthen operations and access growth opportunities in new markets."- Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan-Woodbridge
"This investment will encourage growth and expansion for Cutler and will allow our company to focus on what is important. FedDev Ontario funding will help create jobs and will present exciting challenges for Cutler, as we work towards expanding our operations and export opportunities."- Jonathan Glick, President & CEO, Cutler Forest Products
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Bardish Chagger Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario Economics and Industry
- Date modified: