News Release Article from
Canada and Hong Kong sign investment agreement
February 10, 2016 - Toronto, Ontario - Global Affairs Canada
The Honourable Chrystia Freeland, Minister of International Trade, and Gregory So, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, today signed a Canada-Hong Kong foreign investment promotion and protection agreement (FIPA) in Toronto, Ontario.
In an increasingly interconnected global economy, Canada’s diversity and connections to the world are among our greatest economic assets. Hong Kong offers many investment opportunities for Canadian businesses. Areas of potential growth for Canadian investment include financial services, sustainable technologies, professional services, agricultural products and processed food, transportation, information and communications technology, and education.
“With our strong trade ties and established trade and investment links, Hong Kong is a natural partner for Canadian businesses. Hong Kong offers a dynamic economy, and today’s investment agreement will help Canadian businesses more easily access this reliable entry point into the larger Asia-Pacific region. Together, we are focused on enhancing the prosperity of Canadians at home and connecting them to opportunities abroad.”
- Hon. Chrystia Freeland, P.C., M.P., Minister of International Trade
“Hong Kong is the key trade and investment centre of Asia and an ideal gateway for Canadian businesses to tap into the vast market potential in the region, particularly the Mainland of China. The signing of the investment agreement will give additional assurance to investors, expand investment flows between Hong Kong and Canada and further strengthen our existing strong economic and trade ties.”
- Gregory So, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- There are approximately 300,000 Canadians in Hong Kong and some 500,000 people from Hong Kong living in Canada.
- Canadian investment in Hong Kong reached $6.1 billion in 2014.
- According to data supplied by Hong Kong, Hong Kong’s foreign direct investment in Canada reached HK$73.9 billion ($11.1 billion) in 2014.
- Canadian merchandise exports to Hong Kong totalled $3.9 billion in 2015, making Hong Kong Canada’s eighth-largest export market for goods; in 2014, Hong Kong was Canada’s seventh-largest market for services.
- Canada’s foreign investment promotion and protection agreements
- Hong Kong’s investment promotion and protection agreements
Media Relations Office
Global Affairs Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @CanadaTrade
Like us on Facebook: Canada’s international trade - Global Affairs Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Chrystia Freeland Global Affairs Canada Economics and Industry
- Date modified: