News Release Article from
Government of Canada Invests in Indigenous Entrepreneurship and Business Development in Labrador
Support announced today for the Innu Business Development Centre and the Nunacor Development Corporation
February 9, 2016 – Happy Valley-Goose Bay, NL – Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
The Innu Business Development Centre and the NunatuKavut Business Centre will expand their services and continue to provide support for indigenous entrepreneurship and business development, thanks in part to investments from the Government of Canada. Nunacor Development Corporation, parent company of the NunatuKavut Business Centre, is receiving $490,000 and the Innu Business Development Centre will receive $356,535.
Yvonne Jones, Member of Parliament for Labrador, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA) announced the projects today, along with representatives from the Innu Business Development Centre and the Nunacor Development Corporation.
Through this initiative, the Innu Business Development Centre will expand their services to offer business counselling, business planning support, the facilitation of access to business management skills development. The Centre will also offer follow-up and aftercare services to aspiring and existing entrepreneurs in the Innu membership. In addition, the NunatuKavut Business Centre will provide entrepreneurial support and a variety of services to new and existing NunatuKavut indigenous entrepreneurs.
- The Government of Canada is providing funding of $490,000 for the Nunacor Development Corporation and $356,535 for the Innu Business Development Centre through ACOA’s Business Development Program.
- The NunatuKavut Business Centre is a not-for-profit organization mandated to pursue economic and business opportunities for members of the NunatuKavut Community Council.
- The Innu Business Development Centre is a not-for-profit organization which assists Innu business and entrepreneurs, pooling expertise, skills and capacity to create viable and sustainable businesses.
“The Government of Canada is proud to support the Innu Business Development Centre and the NunatuKavut Business Centre which provide invaluable business services to entrepreneurs in Labrador. Through ACOA, the Government continues to make strategic investments in projects like these, which create and support sustainable growth and economic opportunity while fostering important relationships with indigenous peoples.”
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
“The investments announced today will enable these organizations to continue with their important work to help nurture aspiring and existing entrepreneurs that are members of the Innu Nation and part of the NunatuKavut Community Council. Investing in entrepreneurship and the development of business management skills will help improve the economic base of indigenous communities and deliver economic benefits for Labrador.”
- Yvonne Jones, Member of Parliament, Labrador
"We are proud of the tremendous work that the NunatuKavut business centre has done. This funding enables the centre to continue its great work as a one-stop business resource for our membership, offering a variety of services to assist with their entrepreneurial endeavors. This initiative is made possible through the strong partnership of the federal government, NCC and Nunacor, our business arm.”
- Todd Russell, President of the NunatuKavut Community Council (NCC)
“We are pleased to provide our members with services and counselling that can help their businesses to develop and grow, and to improve their business management skills. This funding will help us to assist more small businesses in the Innu community with programs and services that meet their needs.”
- Josie Dubberke, Business Manager, Innu Business Development Centre
Acting Director, Public Affairs
The Innu Business Development Centre
The Nunacor Development Corporation
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency Economics and Industry
- Date modified: