News Release Article from
Serving and protecting Canadians in the Southern Ontario Region
Significant seizures took place from July 1 to December 31, 2015
February 9, 2016 Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada Border Services Agency
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) in the Southern Ontario Region (SOR) would like to take this opportunity to share some highlights of the vital work accomplished by SOR employees to protect the safety and security of our borders and our communities.
The Southern Ontario Region of the CBSA covers the southern portion of Ontario, encompassing the cities of Windsor, Sarnia, London, Fort Erie and Niagara Falls, and their surrounding communities. In the last half of 2015, a number of significant seizures took place in the region including:
- 678 narcotic/controlled drugs seizures, including 26 cocaine seizures totalling 83.8 kg
- 140 tobacco seizures
- 321 alcohol seizures
- 115 seizures totalling 163 firearms
- Seizures of 348 prohibited weapons and devices
- 66 currency seizures totalling $1.8 million
- Improperly declared vehicles worth over $539,000
- Over $100,000 of artwork and china that were undeclared
- SOR’s 115 firearms seizures were the highest in Canada during this period.
- All currency and monetary instruments must be reported if they total $10,000 or greater in Canadian dollars or its equivalent. Monetary instruments include items such as stocks, bonds, bank drafts, cheques, and travellers’ cheques.
- It’s important to know your personal exemptions, including those for alcohol and tobacco.
“I am very proud of the excellent work by CBSA officers in Southern Ontario Region. Our officers work diligently to protect the safety and security of Canadians.”
Rick Comerford, Regional Director General, Southern Ontario Region
- 30 -
CBSA Media Relations
Southern Ontario Region
Media Line: 844-580-3636
Search for related information by keyword
Canada Border Services Agency Law
- Date modified: