News Release Article from
Governments Celebrate Official Opening of Cambridge Bay Hamlet Office
February 8, 2016 – Cambridge Bay, Nunavut
The Honourable Hunter Tootoo, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard was in Cambridge Bay today on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, to celebrate the completed construction of a new hamlet office in the hub of the Kitikmeot region with the community. He was accompanied by the Honourable Peter Taptuna, Premier of Nunavut; the Honourable Keith Peterson, Minister of Finance; and Jeannie Ehaloak, Mayor of the Municipality of Cambridge Bay.
The former Cambridge Bay hamlet office was over thirty years old, no longer met building codes and was unable to meet the needs of this growing community. The 54 employees of the hamlet were located in various buildings throughout the community. This new building will house all administrative functions in one place, as well as a new council chamber complete with translation booth.
With an improved space for residents to view and participate in council proceedings and keep up to date on events in their community, the new 651-square-metre hamlet office provides a forum for community engagement and ensures the efficient delivery of programs and services to its growing population.
- The governments of Canada and Nunavut jointly committed $11,201,000 towards the project through the Provincial-Territorial Base Fund.
- The new building was designed to accommodate the projected population growth in Cambridge Bay over the next 20 years, and the associated increase in programs and services needed to serve the community.
- Under the Provincial-Territorial Base Fund, Nunavut received a total of $182.68 million from the Government of Canada for core infrastructure priorities such as water, wastewater and municipal infrastructure.
"The Government of Canada is proud to have partnered with Nunavut to construct the new Cambridge Bay Hamlet Office. We are determined to build collaborative relationships with our community and territorial partners and support to the development of strong communities across the North. This new hamlet office will be a centre for social and other community activities while providing one stop access to government services for many years to come."
- The Honourable Hunter Tootoo, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard and MP for Nunavut, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
"It’s an exciting day for the community; the new hamlet office will be a centre of activity for the whole community, and a place where residents can participate in local governance, create new economic development opportunities and contribute to community initiatives. This project is another example of how the Government of Nunavut is working with the federal government to build strong, self-reliant communities across the territory."
- The Honourable Peter Taptuna
Premier of Nunavut
"The Government of Nunavut is committed to helping all communities succeed and I’m confident this facility will benefit programs and initiatives in Cambridge Bay. We are encouraged by the continued partnership between our governments on infrastructure projects across Nunavut."
- The Honourable Joe Savikataaq
Nunavut Minister of Community and Government Services
"Today really shows what positive collaboration between all levels of government can achieve. Our community is very pleased with the addition of this new infrastructure and in fact, we’ve already made use of this new building. Cambridge Bay is at the core of the Kitkmeot region and we continue to grow. This will go a long way in helping to better serve our community, our municipal council and streamline access to services well into our future."
- Jeannie Ehaloak
Mayor of Cambridge Bay
- To learn more about the Provincial-Territorial Base Fund, go to http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/prog/ptbase-finbasept-eng.html
- To find out more about federal investment in infrastructure in your region, go to http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/regions/regions-eng.html
Office of the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
Chief, Public Affairs
Office of Premier Taptuna
Government of Nunavut
Acting Senior Administrative Officer
Municipality of Cambridge Bay
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Amarjeet Sohi Infrastructure Canada Transport
- Date modified: