News Release Article from
Opening of the Bureau de reconstruction du centre-ville de Lac-Mégantic
The Government of Canada supports the economic recovery of the city of Lac-Mégantic
January 30, 2016 – Lac-Mégantic, Quebec – Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED)
On behalf of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, the Honourable Navdeep Bains, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau, announces that the city of Lac-Mégantic will be receiving financial support for the establishment and operation of the Bureau de reconstruction du centre-ville de Lac-Mégantic.
The financial assistance announced today totals $1,965,000. It takes the form of a non-refundable contribution under the component City Reconstruction Projects of the Economic Recovery Initiative for Lac-Mégantic (ERILM), administered by CED.
- The purpose of the Office is to support the reconstruction of the downtown area and the economic recovery of Lac-Mégantic over the next three years.
- The ERILM has a total budget of $35 million, as announced in December 2013.
- Since July 2013, over $155 million has been disbursed by the Government of Canada to help the community of Lac-Mégantic and local businesses and organizations.
“The Government of Canada is making it a priority to be there for the companies and community of Lac-Mégantic in the short-, mid- and long-term. That support reiterates the government’s commitment to supporting the economic rebuilding and recovery of the Town of Lac-Mégantic.”Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, the Honourable Navdeep Bains
“I am pleased to announce the Government of Canada’s contribution to the Bureau de reconstruction du centre-ville de Lac-Mégantic, a meaningful step towards revitalizing the heart of this community. As a Quebecker, this tragedy affected me deeply, and as Minister of Transport, I will continue to take the lessons learned here and work to strengthen rail safety and prevent similar accidents from happening again.”Minister of Transport, the Honourable Marc Garneau
- For more information: Economic Recovery Initiative for Lac-Mégantic
- Follow CED on Twitter @CanEconDev
- 30 -
Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Marc Garneau Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions Science and Technology
- Date modified: