News Release Article from
Health Canada launches new pesticide label mobile app
Users can access pesticide labels from their electronic device
January 25, 2016 Ottawa, Ontario Health Canada
Today, Health Canada launched a new mobile app that allows users to access pesticide labels that have been registered for use in Canada. This app, called Pesticide Labels, will help homeowners, farmers, industry, as well as provincial and federal organizations look up specific pesticide label instructions from the convenience of their smartphone or tablet. This free app is available from mobile device app stores, including Google Play and the iTunes App Store. With this new user-friendly tool, users can access the most up-to-date health and safety information right at their fingertips.
In addition, users will be able to save their searches as well as download product labels to their 'Favourites' for access, even when they are offline. The pesticide label database can be searched based on various factors including product name, chemical or pest.
Pesticide labels have important detailed instructions and warnings that must be followed to protect your health and the environment. Information on product labels include detailed directions for use, safety precautions, first aid statements, and disposal instructions.
- Pesticides are strictly regulated in Canada. All pesticides must undergo a science-based review prior to being approved for sale in Canada.
- Some pesticide products are available for use by the public in and around the home, while others are available to certified professionals for commercial use, such as in agriculture, forestry and other industrial applications.
- When using pesticides, individuals must read and follow all label directions.
- Health Canada's primary objective in regulating pesticides is to protect the health and safety of Canadians and their environment.
"Canadians using pesticides, whether for controlling pests around the home or in agricultural settings need to be able to access up-to-date safety information. This app can help Canadians know and understand how to use pest control products properly to protect health and the environment."The Honourable Jane Philpott
Minister of Health
"This is a useful tool to help farmers incorporate best management practices in real time. The app will provide accurate and readily available information on pesticide use to producers, helping them continue to be good stewards of the land."The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay
Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
- Use Pesticides Safely
- Pesticides and Pest Management
- Pesticides and Food
- Growers and Commercial Users
Office of the Honourable Jane Philpott
Federal Minister of Health
Health Canada news releases are available on the Internet at: www.healthcanada.gc.ca/media
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Jane Philpott Health Canada Health and Safety
- Date modified: