News Release Article from
Work now complete on improvements to modernize Buckingham's drinking water facility
January 18, 2016 – Gatineau, Quebec – Infrastructure Canada
Stéphane Lauzon, Member of Parliament for Argenteuil–La Petite-Nation, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and Alexandre Iracà, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Education, Higher Education and Research, and Member for Papineau, on behalf of Pierre Moreau, Quebec Minister of Municipal Affairs and Land Occupancy, today celebrated the completion of a project to modernize the drinking water facility in Buckingham. Mr. Lauzon and Mr. Iraca also took the opportunity to recall that the City of Gatineau received $29,748,638 under the federal Gas Tax Fund and the Government of Quebec's contribution for this project.
This project included installing settling tanks, biofilters, ultraviolet reactors, lime, hypochlorite and thiosulfate proportioning systems, and an inter-ozonation system as well as various work to improve instrumentation, integration and control.
- The City of Gatineau is benefiting from an investment of $79,268,262 under the federal Gas Tax Fund and the Government of Quebec's contribution through the 2014–2018 allocation. Of this amount, $29,748,638 went towards modernizing the Buckingham drinking water facility; the federal portion for this project was $21,062,036 and the provincial portion was $8,686,602.
- The federal Gas Tax Fund, along with Quebec's contribution, provides long-term, stable, predictable funding to help Canadian municipalities build and revitalize their local infrastructure while creating jobs and fostering long-term prosperity.
"The Government of Canada is proud to have partnered with Quebec to modernize the drinking water facility in Buckingham. We are determined to build solid relationships with our municipal and provincial partners to contribute to the development of strong communities across the country and to improve the quality of life of all Canadians through investments in public infrastructure."
- Stéphane Lauzon, Member of Parliament for Argenteuil–La Petite-Nation, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
"I am pleased to celebrate the completion of these upgrades to Buckingham's drinking water facility. Our government is actively working with municipalities to provide residents with efficient public services that respond to their needs. This will allow them to continue developing pleasant and dynamic environments in which to live. By supporting this project, we have contributed to improved water management in the City of Gatineau and more durable, sustainable public infrastructure for residents."
- Alexandre Iracà, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Education, Higher Education and Research, and Member for Papineau, on behalf of Pierre Moreau, Quebec Minister of Municipal Affairs and Land Occupancy
- To learn more about the federal Gas Tax Fund.
- To consult the new Gas Tax Fund Agreement between Canada and Quebec.
- For further information on the 2014–2018 Gas Tax Fund and Quebec’s Contribution. (available in French only)
Office of the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
Office of the Minister of Municipal Affairs,
and Land Occupancy
Office of the riding for the
Member of Papineau
Department of Municipal Affairs and Land Occupancy
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Amarjeet Sohi Infrastructure Canada Transport
- Date modified: