News Release Article from
Canada Gains Market Access for Pork to India
January 15, 2016 – Ottawa, Ontario – Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Agriculture Minister Lawrence MacAulay and Minister of International Trade Chrystia Freeland announced today that effective immediately, the Government of Canada has secured export market access for Canadian pork and pork products to India. The Canadian pork industry estimates that gaining access to this new market could be worth $2 million in the first year, with growth in future years, as demand for value-added products is expected to increase.
Access to the Indian market aligns with the Government's plan to expand trade with large and fast-growing markets. Improved access in this sector will create opportunities for Canadian pork producers and will further facilitate Canada's position as a long-term, reliable partner in meeting India's food security objectives.
- The value of Canadian agri-food and seafood exports to India has increased steadily over the last decade to reach almost $915 million in 2014. Agri-food and seafood exports to India include pulses (peas and lentils), fresh peas, oilcake, canola oil and fruit (apples).
- India's agri-food and seafood imports grew by a compound annual growth rate of 12.3% between 2012 and 2014.
- Worth more than $6.4 billion in 2014, bilateral merchandise trade between Canada and India grew nearly 11 percent from 2013 to 2014 and has more than doubled over the last 11 years.
"Canadian pork producers can immediately benefit from this new opportunity, exporting their product into this emerging market and increasing their export returns. Our pork industry works hard to produce safe, high-quality meat products and our government will continue to work equally hard to deliver what they need to grow their businesses in markets around the world."- Lawrence MacAulay, P.C., M.P., Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
"Our government is pleased that the Indian market has opened to Canadian pork producers. India is a hugely important market for Canadian exporters, and this improved market access demonstrates the Government of Canada's ongoing support for Canadian industry. I look forward to building on this success and our trade relations with India."- Hon. Chrystia Freeland, P.C., M.P., Minister of International Trade
"Canada Pork International is pleased that India's market for Canadian fresh pork and processed pork products is now open. We have been working with the Government of Canada for many years to gain access to this market which offers great potential for the export of a wide range of pork products. Canadian producers that manufacture value-added pork products will also benefit from this new market in the future."- Jacques Pomerleau, President of Canada Pork International
- Market Overview - India (Agriculture and Agri-Food)
- India, Market Access Plan 2015-2017 (Global Affairs Canada)
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @AAFC_Canada
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Lawrence MacAulay Hon. Chrystia Freeland Global Affairs Canada Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Agriculture
- Date modified: