News Release Article from
Minister of National Defence welcomes back Canadian Armed Forces troops deployed on Operation PROVISION
January 12, 2016 - Ottawa
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan today welcomed approximately 70 Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members back to Canada from their deployment to Jordan and Lebanon. The soldiers were deployed on Operation PROVISION, the CAF’s contribution in support of the Government of Canada’s efforts to welcome 25 000 Syrian refugees in Canada by the end of February 2016.
This small contingent of personnel is returning after several weeks of assisting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in the processing of refugees at centres in Lebanon and Jordan. Approximately 150 CAF personnel remain in Lebanon and Jordan to provide continued assistance with application processing and medical screening.
- CAF personnel are deployed on Operation PROVISION where they are supporting the lead government department, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, with the processing of Syrian refugees destined to resettle in Canada.
- The CAF has been assisting IRCC with various aspects of the refugee screening process, including the processing of applications in Jordan and Lebanon, the collection of biometric data, and the completion of medical examinations for Syrians who applied to immigrate to Canada under this program.
- In anticipation of completion of the mission abroad, the CAF continues to evaluate staffing needs at processing centres in both Lebanon and Jordan. The decision to scale down staffing numbers was made in consultation with IRCC and other government departments.
- Approximately 230 personnel have deployed to Lebanon and Jordan on Operation PROVISION since mid-November 2015. A contingent of approximately 150 CAF members will remain in Lebanon and Jordan to provide continued assistance with application processing and medical screening.
- The CAF remains committed to supporting the Government of Canada mission to the extent required by our federal partners, both at home and abroad.
“It has been rewarding for the Canadian Armed Forces to support our government partners in the complex effort to resettle Syrian refugees and help them find a sense of hope and safety in Canada. Operation PROVISION has been a tremendous opportunity to showcase leadership and Canadian values on the world stage and we will continue to stand in support of this whole-of-government effort, ready to assist wherever and however we are needed.”
The Honourable Harjit S. Sajjan, Minister of National Defence
Canadian Army Links
- Canadian Army website
- Canadian Army on Facebook
- Canadian Army on Twitter
- Canadian Army on YouTube
- Canadian Army on Flickr
- 30 -
Department of National Defence
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Harjit Singh Sajjan National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces Military
- Date modified: