News Release Article from
More than $4 million in funding for major water supply and sewer system repairs in Trois-Pistoles
Trois-Pistoles, January 8, 2016 – Jean D’Amour, Quebec Minister for Transport and the Implementation of the Maritime Strategy, Minister responsible for the Bas-Saint-Laurent region and Member of the National Assembly for Rivière-du-Loup - Témiscouata, acting on behalf of Pierre Moreau, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Land Occupancy and Acting Minister of Public Security, today joined Rémi Massé, Member of Parliament for Avignon - La Mitis - Matane - Matapédia, acting on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Singh Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, in announcing that the City of Trois-Pistoles has been granted $2,682,380 in joint government funding under the Communities Component of the Building Canada Fund - Quebec (BCF- Q) for major repairs to the water supply and sewer systems beneath Jean-Rioux Sud and Notre-Dame Est streets.
Messrs. D’Amour and Massé took the opportunity to note that part of this repair work will be carried out thanks to the transfer of a portion of the federal Gas Tax Fund (GTF) and Quebec contribution in the amount of $1,211,267 over the period of 2014-2018.
“Our government wants to improve infrastructure across Quebec. That is why I am so proud today to announce funding from the Government of Quebec for this project to rebuild the water supply and sewer systems along Jean-Rioux Sud and Notre-Dame Est streets in Trois-Pistoles. Our support of this major undertaking demonstrates our commitment to improving, in a tangible and lasting way, the community infrastructure that is crucial to citizens’ quality of life and to the sustainable development of our communities,” noted Minister D’Amour.
“Citizens have to be able to count on modern and high-quality public infrastructure. The Government of Canada, with the Government of Quebec, is providing concrete support for a wide range of projects, like this one in Trois-Pistoles, aimed at upgrading infrastructure that is essential to our communities. With this financial assistance, our government is also investing in the very future of these communities,” said Mr. Massé.
- The eligible costs of the project have been set at $4,023,570 under the BCF-Q. The governments of Canada and Quebec will each contribute $1,341,190 toward the work, for a total of $2,682,380 in combined government funding, while the City of Trois-Pistoles will also invest $1,341,190 in the project.
- This federal and provincial funding is awarded through the Communities Component of the Building Canada Fund - Quebec, whose aim is to finance public infrastructure projects of national or regional scope.
- The City of Trois-Pistoles used the $1,211,267 from the 2014-2018 federal Gas Tax Fund and Quebec contribution to complete a portion of the repairs along Notre-Dame Est and Martin streets; of this amount, the Government of Canada’s share was $857,577, with $353,690 contributed by the Government of Quebec.
- The federal Gas Tax Fund provides long-term funding to help Canadian municipalities build and revitalize their local public infrastructure while creating jobs and long-term prosperity. It is designed to be a permanent source of federal infrastructure funding for municipalities.
- To learn more about the new Gas Tax Fund Administrative Agreement between Canada and Quebec: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/prog/agreements-ententes/gtf-fte/2014-qc-eng.html
- To learn more about the Communities and Large Urban Centres Component of the Building Canada Fund: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/prog/bcf-fcc-eng.html.
- For further information on the Building Canada Fund - Quebec (in French only):
- For further information on the 2014-2018 federal Gas Tax Fund and Quebec contribution (in French only): http://www.mamrot.gouv.qc.ca/infrastructures/programme-de-transfert/programme-de-la-taxe-sur-lessence-et-de-la-contribution-du-quebec-2014-2018-tecq/
- Follow CED on Twitter @CanEconDev
- 30 -
Canada Economic Development
for Quebec Regions
Office of the Minister of Municipal Affairs
and Land Occupancy
Office of the Minister for Transport
and the Implementation of the
Maritime Strategy and Minister responsible
for the Bas-Saint-Laurent region
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and
Tel.: 418-691-2015, ext. 3230
Search for related information by keyword
Hon. Navdeep Singh Bains Government of Canada Science and Technology Economics and Industry
- Date modified: