News Release Article from
Archived - Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission publishes REGDOC-2.3.2, Accident Management, version 2
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) has updated REGDOC-2.3.2, Accident Management, to improve the document's clarity and its implementation.
Accident Management sets out the CNSC's requirements for developing, implementing and validating integrated accident management at reactor facilities, and provides guidance on how these requirements should be met. The document helps licensees to implement and maintain operational procedures, guidelines and adequate capabilities to deal with abnormal situations and accidents, including severe accidents.The document is consistent with recent international collaboration on lessons learned from the Fukushima accident such as through the International Atomic Energy Agency and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development's Nuclear Energy Agency.
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment; to implement Canada's international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- Accident Management strengthens and modernizes the CNSC's accident management regulatory framework.
- Version 2 of this regulatory document takes into account extensive stakeholder input as well as final comments received at the Commission meeting in August 2014.
- The CNSC monitors licensee performance against 14 separate safety and control areas.
- The CNSC welcomes public input on draft and published regulatory documents.
"Accident Management captures lessons learned from the Fukushima nuclear accident and incorporates international post-Fukushima best practices and guidance for use by current and future Canadian licensees."
Terry Jamieson, Vice-President, Technical Support Branch, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- REGDOC-2.10.1, Nuclear Emergency Preparedness and Response
- CSA Group, N286, Management system requirements for nuclear facilities
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Safety Fundamentals No. SF-1, IAEA Safety Standards for protection people and the environment - Fundamental Safety Principles
- CNSC Fukushima Task Force Report
- CNSC Integrated Action Plan on the Lessons Learned From the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Accident
- Class I Nuclear Facilities Regulations
- Regulatory framework overview
- Regulatory documents
Media and Community Relations
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
Search for related information by keyword
Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Processes Information and Communications Economics and Industry
- Date modified: